Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Ball head for view cameras--any leveling shortcuts?

Re: Ball head for view cameras--any leveling shortcuts?

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    But I would never use a Sinar outside of the studio.
    Understood. But I would, heh, heh.

In fact, I'm coming to the conclusion that the Sinar is no heavier nor any more unbalanced than a field camera that accommodates the same goodies. And it's much more compact that my Cambo. It's no Gowland Pocket View, but it's still about as compact as any 4x5 view camera and not really any greater a load on a tripod head than a full-featured field camera. You swept up a lot of 4x5 real-estate with your response, so I didn't really know where you were drawing your boundaries.

On the more general topic: The B2 ballhead is NOT like other ballheads. I inspected one in some detail a couple of weeks ago as I was pondering alternatives to my Monoball. It looks like a ballhead, but it comprises two nested balls that each ride on an axis, rather than a single free ball. Those axes are at right angles and are separately lockable. Thus, it is completely possible with the B2 to adjust the two axes completely independently. I've not seen another ball head with that capability. The B2 is really a combination of a ballhead and a three-way head. It uses the ball shapes to provide a large friction surface, which makes it easier to lock it down with a smallish knob, rather than the open clamp on a shaft that requires a long handle typical of three-way heads. With bubble levels on the platform, which, alas, it does not have, it would be perfect (except for the price).

Rick "who might well come to agree that the 410 is too fiddly" Denney

Lots of good suggestions--thanks. And it's valuable to know how others deal with it.

Here's the plan for now:

. . . . After talking with the people at Really Right Stuff, I'm trading in my RRS clamp for a newer model that has a built-in level. The idea is to level the head, then mount the camera. I'm a little dubious, but it's worth a try. (How will I know where to exactly settle on a place for the tripod without looking through the camera?) But RRS gives you 50% off the price of a new clamp with your trade-in. And, the new one has a lever rather than a knob. So, for $60, not a big risk.

. . . .Use my Gitzo pan-tilt head if necessary.

. . . .Get better at leveling my camera with the ball head. Harder things have been mastered.

. . . .Keep my eyes open for a used Linhof 3-way leveling head.

does anyone else here use the Gitzo Systematic GH5380SQR ball head?
    I just got it as a set with my GT3530LS tripod, it is very stable when locked down. I'm thinking about getting another one, but with out the quick plate and adding the GS3750DQR pan head on top, this way once you level everything on the ball head you can pan without changing the other two axis, has anyone had experience with this setup?

Having a panhead ontop: probably the best place for it !
    I have the heaviest 3 way head Linhof ever build (extreemly rare and NOT selling) and it even works when the tripod is placed in a bit weird position.
    After leveling you can pan and stay level.

Foba makes a seperate panorama att that you can put ontop of the head the BALTO, dia 76mm and can take a Sinar P2 8x10. I have used it in the studio, great !
    Foba has a smaller one aswell, the BALTA.

A head or a combination with panorama capabilities at both the bottom and top is a real asset in the field and studio.

Peter

I just got a Linhof 3-way leveling head with Linhof quick release plate on the used market and can say that all the praise is well deserved. Good luck on your search

Quote Originally Posted by spiky247 View Post
    does anyone else here use the Gitzo Systematic GH5380SQR ball head?
    I just got it as a set with my GT3530LS tripod, it is very stable when locked down. I'm thinking about getting another one, but with out the quick plate and adding the GS3750DQR pan head on top, this way once you level everything on the ball head you can pan without changing the other two axis, has anyone had experience with this setup?
    i have the same ball head. i can levell a linhof technika 5x7 with a huge tele xenar 500mm in 10 seconds. sensitive friction adjustment and limited adjustability ( 30° ) makes tipping impossible.
    the fear of loosing control of 8kg isn't helpfull especially if you work in public.
    boris