Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tools needed to tighten lens to lens board

Tools needed to tighten lens to lens board

Hi Everyone,
    I am new to this forum and have loads of questions. I have a loose lens in a lens board and need to tighten it up.

What tool or tools do they make for this and where should I start to look for them?

I have a 210mm Schneider in a Wista lens board that is loose and needs to get tighter.

Any and all help is much appreciated. Camera tools in general...any ideas on dealers that stock them?

Thanks everyone for your help,
    Washington Bob

Re: Tools needed to tighten lens to lens board

Hi Bob,

Contact Jeff at Badger Graphics and ask for a spanner wrench. They usually carry a no-name brand (as opposed to a Rodenstock model) in stock and cost about $20 or so.

Jim at Midwest also carries them.

Alternatively, S.K. Grimes has a different version. But, I believe it's quite a bit more costly than the ones mentioned above.

[Do a search for "spanner wrenches" via the search function and you'll see a number of threads previously posted on this forum.]

Cheers
    Life in the fast lane!

You will need a spanner wrench. They can be found from Calumet, S.K. Grimes, B&H Photo and many other outlets. Some are adjustable and very heavy duty, others are like a metal card with prongs that engage several differnet sizes of shutter flanges. Prices can range from about thirty to well over one hundred dollars for the really tough ones.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

These are the main types available. The cheap one does just fine.

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c...uct_list&c=175

The non adjustable type of spanner have fixed lengths and will not work on some of the smaller diameter lenses for the smaller Graflex lenses if this is an issue you may need to go to the more expensive adjustable types. I personally use the non adjustable wrench and it works fine.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Marshall View Post
    These are the main types available. The cheap one does just fine.

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c...uct_list&c=175
    I have no doubt that Ron's idea is correct. Photographers don't normally use spanners all that much, but if you are interested in build quality the spanner from SK Grimes is the best I have ever used.

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Quote Originally Posted by Washington Bob View Post
    Hi Everyone,
    I am new to this forum and have loads of questions. I have a loose lens in a lens board and need to tighten it up.

What tool or tools do they make for this and where should I start to look for them?
    Bob, you will first need to remove (unscrew) the rear element and then use either an adjustable or fixed spanner wrench to tighten the Copal shutter to the lens board, then rescrew the rear element. This same tool allows you to remove the lens/shutter from the board. It's easy, don't worry. Welcome to the forum.
    When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Octogenarian

"A 210 Schneider on a Wista lens board".

This lens is mounted in a Copal 1 shutter. The lens board is metal.

The only tool you will need is the inexpensive flat key type shown on the Badger website.

Remove the rear element. Hold on to the shutter. Tighten the retaining ring with the Copal 1 side of the key wrench. Screw the rear element back in, being careful not to cross thread it.

Hi Everybody,
    Thanks so much for your advice and help.The flat key wrench sounds like exactly what I need. I am looking forward to the photos I can make in this 4x5 format.
    all my best,
    Bob

My Ektars have 3-hole flanges; a little work with a piece of scrap MDF, some #6 machine screws, and a drill press and woo-hoo! a homebrew ghetto spanner wrench. About the only ambitious about this project was chucking the screw into the drill press to file down the diameter of the tips to fit the flange holes. My original intent was to migrate this onto a nice round piece of finished hardwood, but as often as I use this wrench I'm declaring it "all done" as is. Less than $1 total outlay.