Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: LF or not? Trip advice needed...

Re: LF or not? Trip advice needed...

Just been in Yosemite (4 days ago).
    Wonderful, it deserves LF.
    i took my 4x5 field camera as a hand luggage from Italy.
    My advice: less lenses (a moderately wide angle lens could be your only lens), more film holders: you don`t want to carry heavy weights over there, neither using a changing bag in the middle of a forest...
    Enjoy it!
    giovanni

Quote Originally Posted by htswv View Post
    For those of you who shoot 5x7, do you think a 90mm Nikkor is going to be too wide for shooting landscapes out there?
    As much of an ultra-wide freak as I am, I wouldn't want to be limited to just an ultra-wide at Yosemite. When I was there last with large format (something like 17 years ago), I had a 121 and a 215 for 4x5--roughly equivalent to a 180 and a 300 on 5x7. I used both. There were certainly images I could have made with both shorter and longer lenses.

Yosemite is the sort of place where any lens you bring will be usable for amazing images. But if you want to take on the classic scenes, you might prefer something a bit less extreme than a 90 on 5x7.

Rick "noting that it's not easy to get up close to a lot of places, especially by car" Denney

Rick,

I have a 150mm that I'm also planning on taking...it may be just perfect but wanted to go ahead and buy something a little wider. 110mm comes up a lot in discussions but couldn't find one that I could afford.

Maybe I should have bought the 120mm instead...oh well, can always sell the 90.

Quote Originally Posted by htswv View Post
    Rick,

I have a 150mm that I'm also planning on taking...it may be just perfect but wanted to go ahead and buy something a little wider. 110mm comes up a lot in discussions but couldn't find one that I could afford.

Maybe I should have bought the 120mm instead...oh well, can always sell the 90.
    In a pinch, you can also crop a 4x5 out of the 5x7 frame, without losing much.

And old 121/8 Super Angulon wouldn't be that expensive, though, and even that would be a pretty short lens on 5x7.

But as long as you have a longer lens, you'll be fine. The 150 will keep you from being overly constrained by the 90. As I said, you can stand in most spots and in one direction or another find a use for just about any lens.

Rick "who has extreme wides--down to 65 for 4x5--but who takes longer lenses, too" Denney