Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LF or not? Trip advice needed...

Octogenarian

Re: LF or not? Trip advice needed...

The OP mentions that his RB67 outfit consists of the camera and three lenses, as well as a Bogen 3021 tripod.

His RB67 outfit is probably lighter weight than his Canham 5X7 outfit.

However, making platinum/palladium contact prints with 6X7 color roll film would not be practical.

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

no offense but I think the RB makes a nice doorstop especially when moving the LF equipment from hotel room to vehicle...

The 5x7"Canham and 3 lenses sounds like the dream system to record the dream..
    I started using a D200 to meter with and to get an idea from the image on the LCD what I'm looking at.. The wedding cam will just be dead weight

Theres a nice wide angle with the RB stuff, also the other RB lenses are both very sharp. I'd go though with both outfits because of that.

Preston Birdwell

Dream vacation. Fourteen days in Yosemite and the Sierra... Take the 5x7, by all means. I also suggest that you take a small camera; 35mm film or digital.

You will probably want to get off the roads and do some hiking in the higher country; something I strongly encourage, if you are physically capable of doing so. A small camera will be godsend if you don't want to carry the LF at high altitude. Also, weather in the Sierra could be an issue in August; thunderstorms can develop very rapidly, and it will be very hot in the direct sun. If you are carrying a heavy camera in the high country and need to beat a hasty retreat, you might compromise your comfort and safety if you are heavily laden with gear.

-Preston
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

I am finding this thread irresistible,probably because I love to contemplate this kind of question.

I assume that you posted here because you wanted to be told to take the LF equipment. In that I will happily accommodate you immediately. Of course, you should take the Canham, and maybe you should add a 110mm Super Symmar XL to the kit as well. (Then it would pretty nearly match my fantasy 5x7 outfit.)

As for the RB, I love the idea of this camera, (but don't own one) and cannot think of a good reason to take it on such a trip over any the following cameras:

1) A Rolleiflex TLR to use hand held because you just can't expose negs fast enough with a view camera.

2) One or more Fuji or Mamiya MF rangefinders/lenses, because they give beautiful color or B&W negs, and on a monopod with slow film they provide astonishing capability along with fast handling.

3) A 6x6 to 6x9 rollfilm folder, because you are afraid that you might find yourself somewhere without a camera with B&W film.

4) One or more 35mm cameras from a compact rangefinder through a sophisticated SLR and three or four lenses because you need to take a bunch of color images or

5) Any digicam meeting your standards because sometimes you just need to know that you got the shot.

and finally, my personal favorite, All of the Above.

You asked for opinions; I figure mine is worth what it cost.

Have a great trip!

runs a monkey grinder Steve M Hostetter's Avatar

PS... I hope your ready for the experiance of your life have a safe one

LOL, this is funny. I'm trying to decide on 3 or 4 cameras. I've figured out how to get 2 slrs and my 4x5 in a backpack. Then I think, "gosh it would fun to have my Yashica Mat". So, if your undecided, I'm seriously screwed up.

Take it all. Have fun. Shoot the heck out of everything. Don't forget the Advil.

5x7 and a mini something, the RB is almost as heavy as the large format.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I say 5x7 all the way! You will be glad you did. As one who goes to Yosemite often, just not in August, you should take the 5x7 and some other digital thing for the record shots. Of course I should talk, when I go i take the 8x10, 11x14 and the 8x20! I love to have choices!
    have a great time.

Jim

Now a different country heard from...

Take the 5x7...definitely. Then get a 4x5 back for it and a 120 film holder(s) for color or quicker B&W. You'll have your choice of 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 and/or even 6x12! Roll film with creative tilts and swings!

I am trying not to make your life difficult, just different! LOL!

Vaughn