Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Given a Linhof Technika 4x5...lots of questions

Given a Linhof Technika 4x5...lots of questions

Hi Everybody,
    I am new to this forum and after lurking about for months I decided to try my hand at LF photography. I have been using 35mm and 120 film for many years but this is my first time with LF.

I was recently gifted with a used Linhof Technika 4x5..serial number #63217. Can someone tell me when this camera was made?

It came in an old heavy metal bound case along with the following items:

Komura 500mm f7 lens in a Copal-No. 3 shutter/Technika lens board

Schneider-Kreuznach APO-Symmar f5.6 210mm lens in a Copal #1 shutter and Wista lens board

Schneider-Kreuznach Agulon f6.8/90mm Linhof branded with Sychro-Compur shutter in a recessed looking Linhof lens board

white anatomical grip

Polaroid 545i back

Linhof Super Rolex 6x7 rollfilm back

riteway cut film holders

changing bag/Hama 10x loupe/shutter cable/extra Wista lens boards/filters

I am not new to photography as It has been a lifelong hobby to me but I really feel like the new kid on the block with this LF gear.

I would sincerely appreciate it if someone could point me to a book or books about Linhof cameras and how they operate. No owners manual with this setup.

It was well used by a local photographer for many years and I consider it a true treasure. I look forward to learning how to make it take wonderful photos again.

I will be an active member on this forum and hope I will have something to contribute in the future. In the meantime I have much to learn. Anyone that can tell me about this camera, it's lenses, the accessory backs will be most helpful.

I am looking at this forum and on the net for this info but I feel that folks that use LF gear and love it will be my best resource.

Any and all help most appreciated by this new LF photographer. Thankyou all so much.

from the foothills of Mt. Rainier,
    Washington Bob

Re: Given a Linhof Technika 4x5...lots of questions

Interesting articles hare:

http://www.cameraquest.com/classics.htm

Ask Bob Salomon for when it was made:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ead.php?t=9975

Welcome to the forum.

Cheers, Steve

Go to the home page for this forum, scroll down to "Camera Reviews," click on it. Then scroll down to "Linhof Technika 4x5 IV." Click on it. You'll then see links to an owners manual for a 4x5 Technika III and a Technika IV that Q.T. posted. If you have a Technika IV, V, or Master you can at least get started with that owner's manual, the operation of the Technikas didn't change very much from those three models. IIIs are a good bit different.

So your first step will be to figure out which model you have if you don't already know. I'm sure Bob Salomon can tell you the model if you give him the serial number. But for quick starters, look at the color of the leatherette that covers the camera. If it's black you probably have a III, if it's light brown a IV, and gray a V. Theoretically black could also mean a Master but given your other gear I doubt that you have a Master. And there were some Vs that came in black (I had one) but they were relatively rare.

Technikas are great cameras. I've owned quite a few 4x5s and the Tech V and the Master that I owned were my favorites.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

1957 IV

Does that roll film holder have lever or knob wind?

You are very lucky, that is a great outfit, I like the original owner's lens selection too, I bet that 500mm is pretty cool. It's as capable as any new gear out there, no compromises.

If you can afford to have it looked over and serviced, the Linhof service center for the USA is:

Marflex
    Martin Arndt
    work 1-252-652-4401
    work marflex@aol.com
    117 Anchorage Rd.
    Havelock NC 28532

And they are excellent, but like everything Linhof, you pay for quality. But I bet he could clean, adjust, and check it all over for you for a reasonable amount, and he is completely honest and will give you options, not force you into spending more than you want to.

Have fun!

Hi Everyone,
    Thankyou so much for your replys...they have been most helpful.

The roll film holder has a lever wind on it. #14428

I am really looking forward to learning as much as possible about this wonderful camera and will certainly have it cleaned and serviced while in my care.

In my reading about LF camera I see little about lenses as large as the Komura 500mm f7 that came in this kit. Has anyone here heard of this lens? Should I post this question to the lens forum? Would this lens be similar to a 135mm lens in 35mm photography?

It has a Polaroid 545i back with it. Will this back allow me to use Fujifilm Quickloads?

I will read the on line listed manuals to start getting a feel for this fine camera and to learn as much as I can about its many features. I am very excited to have such a great camera to start my LF experience with.

The photographer that gifted me with this camera and kit has used it extensively in the USA and Africa and now has gone digital exclusively.

The photographer that gifted the camera to him worked for the National Geographic Soceity and traveled the world with this camera and kit. He was the one that assembled the lens selection.

It has now been passed to me to work with and learn with. I am honored to receive this kit and will do my best to make the best photos I am capable of.

Thanks to all on this forum...I will be needing much help in the following days and months learning about this camera and kit. I hope to become someone that will have something to contribute also with the knowledge I gain.

from the foothills of Mount Rainier,
    Washington Bob

The 90mm is about like a 28mm on a 35mm camera, the 210 is about a 65mm, and the 500mm is unusual for 4x5, it is extremely long, like a 135-150mm maybe? The Komura doesn't have the stellar reputation of the German lenses but that doesn't mean it will make bad photos.

Those are rough ballparks. In practice most photographers find that lens preferences don't translate between small and large formats for a number of reasons, from proportions to clarity being different. The 90 and 210 are a classic good combination for many people, others will suggest adding a 135 as in intermediate but I would wait until you shoot for a while before adding anything.

And the lever roll film backs are far better than the knob ones.

Thankyou Frank for your posting. It is most helpful . I have much learning to do and appreciate the help.
    Bob

Bob,
    You *can* use the 545i back with Fuji Quickloads, as well as Kodak Readyloads and Polaroid films (if you can find them at this point).

John Clark
    www.johndclark.com

Hi John,
    Thankyou for your post. I am now off to look for a tutorial on how to use the Polaroid 545i back. So much to learn but a lifetime to do it.
    Bob