Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: San Francisco

San Francisco

So we just got the green light for my daughter (10) to compete in Judo nationals this summer. Unfortunately, we'll only have one day, sans car, to look around SF. Well, you take what you can get. Anyway, has anyone taken or heard anything about the one day tours? I'm thinking about the "Deluxe SF tour with Muir Woods and Sausalito." http://www.guideyou.com/prod_view.php?prod_idx=8 Any other suggestions?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: San Francisco

Extend the trip and rent a car. One day is far too short a time.

Peter -

I used to do a lot of overseas traveling, and one of the tactics I used in a new city was to take a packaged tour on the first day just to get a sense of what was there, and then go back on my own, on foot, to see the things that I was interested in.

If you can find a packaged tour of San Francisco, that approach would also work well for you.

But if you want to do it on your own, here's what I would suggest -

I assume that your activities will need to appeal to a 10 year old - so I suggest:

1. The Metreon on Market Street. This is an electronics entertainment mall - all kinds of interactive computer games and related shops. Probably best for pre-teen and teen boys, but girls will probably get a kick out of it also.

2. Not far from the Metreon is the Comic Museum. This is a museum that is devoted to newspaper comic strips. When we were last there, they had a show on Peanuts (Charles Schultz lived just north of San Francisco in Santa Rosa).

2. Take the Powell Street cable car from the Market Street terminal to Lombard Street - the street that has all the curves.

3. From there, walk down the hill to Ghiradelli Square/Fisherman's wharf. From there, you could take the ferry to Alcatraz (plan on at least three hours, and you will almost certainly need to book a reservation well in advance to secure spots on the ferry). Or you could just hang out at Fisherman's Wharf. There's usually a lot of street activity going on there, and if you are lucky, you will encounter some seals around some of the piers.

Our son lives in Mountain View, so we get out to San Francisco about once a year. There's a lot to do there - ideally, you should have more time, and probably a car. But if you have to limit yourself to one day, then you need to pick a few major activities.

If you hit the Fisherman's Wharf area, check out Musee Mecanique.

If you end up not doing the tour or have some free time and are looking for a SF thing to do, there's the Exploratorium at the Palace of Fine Arts.

FYI: On Thursdays SFMOMA is open till 8:45pm and half price admission from 6pm-close.

-Darren

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, more time is not an option. Is Alcatraz worth the trip? How about Muir Woods?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”

Peter, if you only have one day makes it kind of hard. It depends on what you like to shoot, city or landscape.

Muir Woods is beautiful (only $5 entry) and if you can make it in the morning is best, nice light. The first part of it is the most scenic, once you get past the creek, to where the paths become trails through the trees, turn around and go back and spend your time elsewhere (you won't miss anything). Time from the GG Bridge to Muir Woods is about 35 minutes.

You can get a great view of the GG Bridge from Fort Baker (on the Marin side) which is right adjacent to Sausalito. I am not a big fan of Sausalito, but I understand its tourist appeal.

Should you have time might I suggest a visit to the Cliff House at Seal Rocks on the beach in SF. You can go in, have a few drinks and enjoy a really great view.

I agree that renting a car would be worth it. North of Marin is Sonoma County and it has spectacular coastal scenery. Whatever you choose; have fun!!

I'm in Marin County so feel free to PM me if I can be of any assistance.

Best,
    Dave

Thanks Dave!

Unfortunately, this isn't a photography trip. I'll certainly have a camera along, but it's really all about getting Lauren to nationals. She took second last year, and given the structure of the competition, this year will probably be her best chance at winning. If we can fit in a little sightseeing, that would be a nice bonus. Neither of us cares much for shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Thanks guys. Unfortunately, more time is not an option. Is Alcatraz worth the trip? How about Muir Woods?
    Alcatraz is a great trip. You don't have infinite control over the time - the boat schedule governs everything, but I think is a great place for both kids and adults. It can be crowded. And the boat leaves from and returns to Fisherman's Wharf which is another great place to wander around and watch people, and there are some good restaurants there.

Muir Woods is fabulous. You can spend as much, or as little time as you want there. You can probably find either a bus tour that includes a stop there, or perhaps your hotel can arrange transportation. Otherwise, it's quite a hike from downtown San Francisco and having a car would be almost essential. And the distance means that you could easily spend more time enroute than you do actually there. It will be crowded in the summer, so I would advise getting there early in the morning.

Other things that might be interesting -

Conservatory of Flowers, Japanese Tea Garden, deYoung Museum, Museum of Science - all in Golden Gate Park

Chinatown - especially if your daughter has had limited exposure to non-English speaking culture, just walking down the street and window shopping can be an experience.

I took a tour just like it (city + Muir Woods) on my first visit to SF. The tour was operated by Gray Line (the one with brochures/tour desk in hotel lobbies), and was very enjoyable and comfortable.

It was about 15 years ago, but I'd definitely consider one of those tours today if I had only one day in SF (particularly with a 10-year-old without a car). Tours/itineraries in the link are similar to what I remember. It's only that the prices seem to have increased quite a bit.

Muir Woods in the AM, Golden Gate Park in the afternoon, or a drive up or down the coast and eating at Fisherman's Grotto at Fishermans Wharf for dinner! An evening stroll around the wharf area.