Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geologist/Jeweler magnifier as loupe--and amazing tool

Geologist/Jeweler magnifier as loupe--and amazing tool

Reading through the forums I came across several people mentioning that they use a geologist's magnifier instead of a loupe. Intrigued, I found a very affordable one here:

http://www.amateurgeologist.com/belo...magnifier.html

It just came in today. What a cool gizmo! It is built like a tank, small and the optical quality seems very high. I'm not 100% sure I'll use it as a loupe--not much nose clearance so I'll have to experiment--but this is a "must have" item, I think, for all hikers and explorers.

So much better than the expensive Schneider I had--nice but broke easily (it was plastic).

I always encourage people to carry a pair of binoculars for the way it enhances the visual experience of the outdoors--now I'm going to also highlight this little 10x magnifier--sort of like a field microscope hanging around your neck. Hopefully I can find a way to make it work as a loupe as well.

Only $30, too

--Darin

Octogenarian

Red face Re: Geologist/Jeweler magnifier as loupe--and amazing tool

10X--- too strong to use as a ground glass focusing a loupe.

Re: Geologist/Jeweler magnifier as loupe--and amazing tool

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    10X--- too strong to use as a ground glass focusing a loupe.
    Well, then you may like this one at 7x:

http://www.amateurgeologist.com/BelO...magnifier.html

--Darin

The Russians make some good optic's, that's for shure.

I use a coated T-3 2.8/80mm projecter lens as magnifier and it works great.
    Got that one when the russian importer in Holland went bust years ago.

Peter

Octogenarian

7X is still quite strong to use for ground glass focusing.

In the case of a focusing loupe, stronger magnification is not necessarily better. (Unless you are interested in examining the grain structure of the ground glass or the lines of a Fresnel screen).

In order to focus those geological loupes, you need to continually move the loupe forward and backward in order to maintain sharp focus. That can become very annoying when you are under a dark cloth making adjustments to the camera.

A loupe that is specifically designed for ground glass focusing rests directly against the glass and has a dark skirt surrounding the front element to keep out the stray light.

I have a couple of Zeiss loups from college and used them once for LF photography. They went back into the case where I got them after the first usage. Constantly searching for the optimum focal length to hold the loup away from the GG is a PITA.

There are really only three options here IMHO. The first is to use your eyes (or reading glasses depending upon your age) for focusing and learn to see things in a "relative" perspective. It works marvelously well and many seasoned professionals utilize it . Second is to use not more than a 4x loup that resides on the ground glass so it is easy to place it where you want to and get on with things. Lastly is to use the opti visor head gear loup that you drop into place when you need it.

If you are using the 4x5 or smaller formats the 3.5X Toyo loup is a great and inexpensive alternative. Cost about $30 - $40. For 8x10 and larger one can be easily go with the naked eyes without a loup. Remember, many times optimum focus is a consistent improvement in the image area that can only be seen en masse. Lastly, if you are doing macro in all formats the opti visor is the boss.

Cheers!

While I agree with Michael about the PITA with using magnifiers for focusing the site you referenced is pretty cool to this former "rockhound". I had a really nice multi-power I bought in Italy that I been meaning to replace. Now I can....
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

Quote Originally Posted by Archphoto View Post
    The Russians make some good optic's, that's for shure.

I use a coated T-3 2.8/80mm projecter lens as magnifier and it works great.
    Got that one when the russian importer in Holland went bust years ago.

Peter
    I use a 50mm El-Nikkor, but any brand would do. This is, by far, the best thing I have found for focusing on the ground glass.

Since you look through the "front" of the lens, it is no problem to thread a piece of PVC to the lens to use for a skirt, if you want. I prefer not having a skirt. This allows me to use the lens with or without my reading glasses without having to adjust it.

I paid $20 for mine, in mint condition with its cap. I would guess that there are plenty of other enlarging lenses around that are still more than adequate for the job and can be had for even less.

Umm.. I have a 6x "jeweler's" loupe I got from the hardware for $3. It is all plastic and works like a charm. And should I loose it, I know where to get more and I am really not out that much. Plus, you look like a badass when you keep it in your eye and then drop it in your palm.

I use 3 diopters together +6 or +7
    Doesn't bother me any. Sharpness? Sharp enough in the center. Who cares if not sharp to the corners? No skirt ..I wouldn't want to keep hitting the camera when placing on gg ..seems sloppy to me. I don't get tired shifting my head ever so slightly for a few tenths of a second. Maybe if you have a really weak neck it's a PITN. I see well enough to not use any at all. I really don't even need a grain focuser in the darkroom ..I'd put it to a test.
    My favorite "loupe" for 35mm negatives etc is a lens element out of some old camera. I have a B&L triplet thing and linen tester and plenty of others but that element always wins.
    I personally have no idea why someone would pay $80 for a loupe
    But then I've seen lots of people look the part only to find out ..they only look the part.
    Not saying that's 100% of these $80 loupe people but I certainly believe a strong 30%