Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rough price of 10x8 set up?

Rough price of 10x8 set up?

Hi guys,

Posted this in the buy sell but no help there so far so thought I'd ask here.

I am looking at putting together a simple 10x8 camera kit with one lens (240mm or similar).

I'm not going to be buying for a month or so but what kind of prices am I going to be looking at?

Lightweight as possible as it's for long hikes, movements not strictly necessary so it could it even be a fixed focus set up. I'm just looking for that large neg size and it's inherent qualities.

I am looking at 10x8 over 5x4 simply for the higher i.q. at large print sizes, the 10x8 inch darkroom contact prints and the slower, pared down process itself.

If anyone can let me know rough prices I will be looking at that would me most appreciated.

Cheers,

Marc

Re: Rough price of 10x8 set up?

You probably should spend a bunch of time on ebay looking at stuff. There are so many variables in pricing and choice making. I bought an 8x10 Raja for 200 and a zone VI for 2500.00 Lenses are all over the place in prices as well. ebay prices are a useful point of reference.
    Dennis

I think I saw an 8x10 Goarseri (sp?) on their website yesterday... that's a fixed 8x10 with helical focusing. I think Bostick and Sullivan had a wooden low-tech version and their are numerous 8x10 pinholes that could be cobbled together using a Chinese helical and perhaps a deluxe metal back salvaged from a studio camera....

Roughly how much money will you have to spend on the everything package, then I will tell you if it's possible. Good luck.

here is an example:

Wehman 8x10 field camera (from Wehman) 2200
    lens (mpex.com, lfphoto, apug, keh, etc) 400-800
    10 8x10 film holders (lfphoto, ebay) 500-600
    darkcloth (viewcamerastore) 80

comes to 3200-3700, i realize the Wehman might be more full featured than you are looking for right now, but it is light and folds up small.

Ebay can be a good resource but Jim at Midwest (or some of the guys around here) are generally safer bets if you don't have the money to waste on a gamble.

Off the top o' my noggin:

8X10 Deardorff in working condition or a Century Universal (even lighter wieght)---about $1200, maybe less for an NFS model 'dorf.
    Ries Tripod and head, the 200 series wich is better (lighter) for carrying afield---about $300 used
    Dark Cloth---have your bride sew a big one for you---maybe $5 for material?
    240 G Claron in copal or compur shutter---about $300
    3 Kodak wooden film holders @ $25 each---$75
    Focusing loupe---an "agfa type will work, ---about $6 new.

Assuming you'll already have a light meter, some filters from your Nikon slr, and a cable release , you should be able to get into a first class outfit for under $1800. If you can make do with a heavier camera like a Agfa Ansco you could easily squeeze in under $1,000 and take an addition $200 off that for a heavier tripod, but since your specs require some hiking I'd stick with lighter wieght gear if possible.

One more thought---you'll need to carry this kit! All of it except the tripod will fit into one of those GI surplus canvas water can coolers that will sling over your shoulder. They're heavy but only cost about $19. A Kelty Redwing day pack works for me. REI had them on sale online for around $40 or $50 not too long ago.

Have fun!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Octogenarian

You're not going to get much help with pricing unless you state exactly which camera and lens you are considering.

Assuming that you already have a dark cloth, meter, accessories, etc. and considering only the camera body and lens, prices can range from $500--$5000 (convert this to British Pounds).

For the sake of economy, look for previously owned equipment from a private individual.

For hiking, look for a wooden 8X10 folding flatbed camera. Consider weight. Some of them are quite heavy to carry on a long hike. You might be able to find a nice used Deardorf for around $1000.

A suitable lens could be a Nikkor 300M or a Fuji 300C. Both are mounted in Copal 1 shutters. Figure $500 for a used one in good condition.

There are no 8X10 Quickloads, so you will need 8X10 film holders. They are heavy and bulky to carry. Depending on how many holders you want, the price can mount up. Figure $40-$60 each.

A light weight tripod and head that will support a heavy 8X10 camera can become expensive if you opt for carbon fiber.

As you can see, your question is difficult to answer unless you are more specific about the actual equipment you want to purchase.

Thanks for the replies guys.
    Yes I have all the extra bits and pieces already in terms of darkcloths meters etc having shot film and large format for many years. (and so of course tripods, head, etc)
    Choice of actual camera is really dictated by my use as stated in my first post...
    "Lightweight as possible as it's for long hikes, movements not strictly necessary so it could it even be a fixed focus set up"

Anyway it seems the cameras can be anywhere between £300 and £1000 depending on what I can find...
    cheers,

...although the more research I do into my project...and the long hikes included...a 10x8 is looking heavier and heavier all the time!

Marc

Pricing can be all over the place; for example, my first 8x10 camera was an old Ansco wooden field camera, for which I paid $450 from E-bay (several years back.) I decided I wanted something lighter, so I sold it (made a slight profit, enough to cover Paypal fees,) and found an 8x10 B&J Grover monorail for $150. I had that a year and got a Jones for a Wehman metal field camera, for which I paid $1700 or so from someone, either here or on Apug (I can't remember.) Great camera, by the way. Got a real, real bad idea and sold the Wehman (broke about even, as I recall,) and bought another B&J Grover monorail for $150, this one mint, looks like it was never used. Now saving for another Wehman because although the monorails are light weight, I prefer something which folds into a backpack. I'm the decisive one, you ought to see my wife!!

Film holders: I've paid as much as $40 each for newish modern plastic Liscos, and as little as $8 each for older but still perfectly functional wooden Eastman film holders. Frankly, I prefer Eastman film holders. My 210mm Fujinon lens isn't supposed to cover 8x10 but it does, barely, and I paid less than $300 for it; on the other hand, I paid $400 for my 420mm Fujinon L and you can pry that sucker out of my cold dead hands one of these days. I've seen them for a bit less in the past month or so but you don't see them very often. I have a 12" Commercial Ektar, for which I paid $300 last year and it's a fine lens, but can sometimes be found for a bit less; I've also in the past paid $450 for a 240mm Caltar II-N (Rodenstock) and it was a fine lens, I just prefer something a bit wider. I've also seen those for $350 lately.

See? Prices are all over the place and if you're flexible about what you want you can be open to some pretty good deals. If you want something in particular, you may have to either wait a while until it comes around at a price you like, or be willing to pay more. It's all up to you and the market at the time you're ready to buy.

If I were you I'd do this: keep an eye on E-bay in order to get an idea of where the market is and where it's going (up or down.) For example, E-bay sale prices tend to be depressed for LF equipment from November through February, and then recover (rise slightly) for the summer. Now, with the economy the way it is, it's a buyer's market there, though, except for things which are for one reason or another in demand (like, Jim has posted some more Petzval photos or something.) When ready to buy, look here and on Apug first, unless there's a real screamin' deal on Ebay. Here especially, you can even post a request to see if someone has something they'd like to sell, either a specific request if, for example you want a particular camera, or lens, or with enough detail to be helpful, for example, if you want a folding camera 12 lbs or less, etc. Good luck!

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

wfwhitaker

Quote Originally Posted by marcwilson View Post
    ...although the more research I do into my project...and the long hikes included...a 10x8 is looking heavier and heavier all the time!
    Marc
    If it looks heavy now, you can bet it will be, even for level terrain. I've been going through a bit of this very same dilemma myself very recently.