Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem With Harrison Film Change Tent?

Problem With Harrison Film Change Tent?

I recently bought a large (suitable for 8x10) Harrison film changing tent on EBay for $45!

I'm very pleased, except that the outside of the inside is a bit sticky. That is, there are two layers to this thing: an outside silver coated layer and an inside black coated layer. Overall, it looks like it'll work just fine. The inside of the inside is cloth, and it looks and feels great and won't be a problem as it comes in contact with film. While I need a small patch in one place (maybe), the tent appears to be light tight.

So, has anyone experienced a similar problem with a Harrison tent? Maybe this thing has gotten hot or something? Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Sticky or not, I think this thing will work fine, especially for $45. But, I'd welcome any suggestions, if there's a way to improve this "sticky" problem.

Re: Problem With Harrison Film Change Tent?

Neil,

You may want to give Harrison a call, I seem to remember they had a problem with the insides of their changing tents "melting" a bit. I'm not sure if it was just a bad run or something.

I really like mine!

JT

You really got a deal.

I've noticed similar things with backpacking tents. Set it up. Open the door and let it breathe for a few days. Might help.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Hmmm. Maybe the inside "stickiness" is designed to scavenge dust.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Yeah, stickiness - possibly mildew (mold) as a result of being packed away damp. Common problem with nylon tents, stuff sacks and any other usually synthetic fabric stored wet. No cure. But a temporary fix is to dust the affected cloth with baby powder - this may be an anathema for photographic purposes but works with stuff sacks. Lesson: store it loose, never confined.

It's very possible this is not reversible. I've seen something similar with foam rubber on a gelatin filter holder. The stuff just melted with age.

But, I think it's a good idea to give Harrison a call. I think it's also a good idea to try airing it out. I can leave the outer door open and maybe blow air towards the interior (between the inner and outer layers) to see if that improves the moistness. It seems like that should help.

But like I say, it'll still work just fine.

A search would reveal that others have had the problem with earlier vintages of Harrison and that the company was receptive to correcting the problem.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

I heard that the problem was when a photographer's arms had DEET or bug repellant on them and it was the chemical that "melted" the coating. I know you can send it back for repair (a new liner) but that would cost more than the $45 -- you got what you paid for.

You might try using the TEK outdoor products for washing and re-waterproofing coated nylon outdoor products, but I really don't know if it would remove the stickiness.

FWIW they are excellent tents otherwise.

Would coating the insides with 3M Scotch Guard work if it's cleaned thoroughly first, aired, sprayed then left to air and cure properly?

I recall furniture fabrics coated with that stuff felt a little 'slick' after drying.

Just thinking aloud.

I have the same tent, also off ebay for a good price, and mine has the same slightly sticky feel on the outside but it's light tight and the inside is perfect.

if anyone can come up with a simple fix for this it'd be great but otherwise I'll just keep using it as is