Thread: NuArc 26-1kS Plate Burner

NuArc 26-1kS Plate Burner

Hey Guys,

Found a good deal on one of these, and I'm picking it up tomorrow. Was hoping to be able to do alt process stuff at night, as I like to stay up late most nights. Anyhow, was trolling along and found a start/stop video of the older 26-1k model:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...39607377934409

Seems a bit louder than I thought it might be. Maybe my headphone volume is too high? Or perhaps it's the video and the way it was shot and the sound was picked up? Does anyone have any idea how much noise these things make? Is the noise mostly related to the vacuum? I can use a contact print frame if necessary, I guess, but I'd prefer to use all of its cool features.

Thanks!
    --A

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: NuArc 26-1kS Plate Burner

Quote Originally Posted by alec4444 View Post
    Hey Guys,

Found a good deal on one of these, and I'm picking it up tomorrow. Was hoping to be able to do alt process stuff at night, as I like to stay up late most nights. Anyhow, was trolling along and found a start/stop video of the older 26-1k model:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...39607377934409

Seems a bit louder than I thought it might be. Maybe my headphone volume is too high? Or perhaps it's the video and the way it was shot and the sound was picked up? Does anyone have any idea how much noise these things make? Is the noise mostly related to the vacuum? I can use a contact print frame if necessary, I guess, but I'd prefer to use all of its cool features.

Thanks!
    --A

A i have a 1-KS and it is not loud at all. It should have the integrator set in units that equal 1 second per unit. I love mine.

jim

Thanks, Jim! So it's not like a 1960s vacuum cleaner or anything? Really can't wait to give this a go. Many thanks to Peter Spangenberg, whose PT print from the print exchange was so awesome I was inspired to ask about his technique.....which is how I first learned of these. They seem to make loads more sense that UV boxes in the fact that you can carefully dodge & burn.

--A

As Jim said, not really loud. The motor for the vacum unit is more like just a humming and the exposure unit a little more aggressive but still not loud. Less than a modern Vacum cleaner now that you used that as a reference.
    Remember to invest in some good UV glasses and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by alec4444 View Post
    Hey Guys,

Found a good deal on one of these, and I'm picking it up tomorrow.
    The NuArc isn't whisper quite and does raise the ambient noise level quite a bit, but that's to be expected with a vacuum pump.

Don Bryant