Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: George DeWolfe's Perceptool

Re: George DeWolfe's Perceptool

From George....

"Doug
    We will have an incredibly faster version on the website in a few days. The PercepTool is not the same as a luminosity mask. It is entirely different and does entirely different things. Which is why it is proprietary.
    George"

I just downloaded his new version. It's very fast now. I'm still in the demo mode but from what I've seen so far I'm going to have to buy it. Pretty dramatic changes even after my best shot at processing including applying TK's luminosity masks. What is seems to do is balance the light, and that includes opening up the shadows significantly.
    Last edited by Doug Dolde; 15-Jun-2009 at 15:59.

Don't mess with the 32 bit file conversion. It's pretty simple without that induced. You may need to adjust the opacity of the Perceptool layer and or erase it from certain areas, particularly the sky to fine tune. Also it tends to really push the highlights, so selecting the Super Lights with TK's luminosity mask afterwards and pulling the curve down may be needed.

I'm finding an improvement in 85% or so of my previously processed images; some dramatically so, others less dramatic but still better.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Dolde View Post
    Don't mess with the 32 bit file conversion. It's pretty simple without that induced. You may need to adjust the opacity of the Perceptool layer and or erase it from certain areas, particularly the sky to fine tune. Also it tends to really push the highlights, so selecting the Super Lights with TK's luminosity mask afterwards and pulling the curve down may be needed.

I'm finding an improvement in 85% or so of my previously processed images; some dramatically so, others less dramatic but still better.
    Thanks for the report Doug. I look forward to testing the plugin.

Don Bryant

Maybe Ron Popeil can create an infomercial for this.

"With Perceptool, all you do is press it and forget it!!"

(audience of photographers) "Yaaaa!!"

I believe that George's tool uses the same methodology as Lucis...albeit more limited than Lucis. Both seem to use the same terminology when describing their product.

The image that I have attached is a Lucis blended black and white conversion from a digital image. While this image is a down and dirty quick conversion it does indicate the general effect of opening up the image. Lucis has quite a few more filters and effects with infinitely adjustable sliders to gain the result one wishes for.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Miller View Post
    I believe that George's tool uses the same methodology as Lucis...albeit more limited than Lucis. Both seem to use the same terminology when describing their product.

The image that I have attached is a Lucis blended black and white conversion from a digital image. While this image is a down and dirty quick conversion it does indicate the general effect of opening up the image. Lucis has quite a few more filters and effects with infinitely adjustable sliders to gain the result one wishes for.
    Lucis seems to peter out (fail) on images with any one dimension greater than about 7000 pixels.

Don Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Lucis seems to peter out (fail) on images with any one dimension greater than about 7000 pixels.

Don Bryant

I haven't tried it on anything above 4400 (no stitched images yet)...I will need to see how it is affected. Thanks for the info.

Its not clear to me which is the improved image.
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

I haven't tried it on anything above 4400 (no stitched images yet)...I will need to see how it is affected. Thanks for the info.
    Another product Like Lucis to consider is Topaz Adjust. Much less expensive.

http://www.topazlabs.com/adjust/

Don Bryant