Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: source for large rubber lens hoods?

source for large rubber lens hoods?

I need a new 82mm rubber lens hood. The last two wide/med/tele style I last bought off ebay like this one http://accessory-camera.com/catalog/...cts_id=272only lasted about a year before they fell apart. Do they all fall apart due the the rubber used?

Now I can only find this style from the link above.
    No, not compendium shades. You may use your dark slide, I don't. I'll be using this on everything from 6x7 to 8x10. I need both hands free for my meter and beer.

Any sources for good hoods?

vinny

Re: source for large rubber lens hoods?

Heliopan makes silicon rubber, convertible hoods, in all sizes up to 105mm.

I've used the Hoya convertible rubber lens hoods before. They generally last me 10 years or more. They seem to self-destruct more from inactivity and long-term storage than normal usage.

Thanks Bob.
    Lee, the largest hoya I can find is 77mm.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    I need a new 82mm rubber lens hood. The last two wide/med/tele style I last bought off ebay like this one http://accessory-camera.com/catalog/...cts_id=272only lasted about a year before they fell apart. Do they all fall apart due the the rubber used?

Now I can only find this style from the link above.
    No, not compendium shades. You may use your dark slide, I don't. I'll be using this on everything from 6x7 to 8x10. I need both hands free for my meter and beer.

Any sources for good hoods?

vinny
    You cannot use one and the same lens hood for "everything from 6x7 to 8x10". A useful lens hood is made for a certain film format - change that film format to a bigger one and the lens hood will vignette. If it won't, it's a sign that it is completely useless on the small film formats.

Vinny, the only thing I could suggest if you really want the quality of the Hoya hood is to see if using a 77-82 step-down ring (with 2.5mm cut-off on each side) would cause problems.

I just dug up a Hoya hood I used to use in the 80s, and besides a dented ring (which explains why I stopped using it), it's still alive!

Quote Originally Posted by GPS View Post
    You cannot use one and the same lens hood for "everything from 6x7 to 8x10". A useful lens hood is made for a certain film format - change that film format to a bigger one and the lens hood will vignette. If it won't, it's a sign that it is completely useless on the small film formats.
    Sweet.
    The hood in the link is the same hood I've been using for all formats, it's adjustable. Far from useless until the rubber rots.

Lee, since I have several wide lenses that take 82mm filters, step rings aren't an option.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Sweet.
    The hood in the link is the same hood I've been using for all formats, it's adjustable. Far from useless until the rubber rots.

Lee, since I have several wide lenses that take 82mm filters, step rings aren't an option.
    The hood in question is adjustable for focal lengths not for formats. If you use a hood for a given focal length at 35mm film format and at 8x10 LF without vignetting then it's a hood with no effect on the small format.

Vinny,
    The Heliopan silicon rubber hoods are adjustable for wide angle and other focal lengths by rolling the rubber back. Since it is silicon rubber it will not "rot" and the retaining is solid brass with both male and female threads so you can screw a filter or a lens cap into the front of the ring. For Heliopan 82mm is a small size. Their rubber hoods go up to 105mm and their long and short metal hoods are available up to 122mm.

Thanks again, Bob. I was going to send you an email with those questions. I'll likely order one this week.