Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yosemite Valley report

Yosemite Valley report

We just got back from an overnighter in the Valley. I had to break one of my cardinal rules about not visiting Yosemite during the busy season since my daughter wanted to spend her 11th birthday on an outing with her dad on the half day mule ride

Road construction---the detours have ended at long last. The one way loop around the valley floor is back to normal!

4x5 film---I didn't see a lot in the fridge at the Ansel Adam's Gallery. I don't know if they were just low in their stock or if they're cutting back, so if you need to bolster your resources while in the park you might want to give them a call and find out what emulsions they plan to have on hand.

Wildlife---Bears, herds of deer, coyotes...we saw them all! The critters are very active in the valley right now!

Waterfalls---Spectacular!

Merced River below Vernal Falls---Extreme whitewater. Very photogenic but don't slip in! Deadly!

Food---We had dinner at the Buffet at Camp Curry on saturday evening. The prices weren't bad but the food wasn't as tasty as I remember from years past.
    Perhaps the kitchen crew hasn't gotten their "act" honed yet as it is early in the season.

Degnan's still has very good pizza (which we had for lunch on sunday) and the staff was very "with-it" unlike our last visit.
    Perhaps the kitchen crew is still fresh and attentive as it is still early in the season.

Mules---Claire rode Slick, I rode Fred. Destination: Clark's Point. Route: a new (to me) equestrian only trail that circumvents Happy Isles. I found this very interesting as I thought I'd been over every square inch of Happy Isles yet I don't remember seeing this area before. It is quite an improvement seperating the stock from the foot traffic all the way from Happy Isles to past Vernal Falls. It is a wonderfully constructed trail with beautiful rock work.

Mosquitos---Yeah, they're out.

Weather---Mist hanging over the meadows in the morning. Lots of thundercloud activity from about 2:00PM-ish on. Some rain (delightful when coming up from 100+ degress in Fresno! )

That is all.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Yosemite Valley report

Thanks for the report! I was wondering how life in the Valley was doing. Sounds like a fun trip.

Funny...I packed mules for a living for 10 seasons. Now I just do not have a desire to ride for fun. But I do remember my mule-ride in Yosemite 45 years or so ago...up out of Tuolumne Meadows. Can't remember the mule's name, but my brother got "Lightning".

Vaughn

I visited Yosemite last week and experienced similar conditions. The LF film bin was completely empty at the AA Gallery when I visited, and one of the folks there told me that their film sales had become virtually non-existent (even though they still stock an impressive amount of 35mm and 120). LF shooters BYOF, as they say. Charles Cramer has an interesting exhibition at the gallery.

The thunderstorm conditions can lead to spectacular skies when the sun pops out. I traveled over Tioga Pass and got some wonderful shots of the Yosemite high country (some of the lakes are still iced over) as well as Mono Lake and the Bristlecones. There was still more haze than I would have liked at places like Tunnel View, but overall photographic conditions were good if you didn't mind being occasionally rained on. Alas, the dogwood blooms were all but gone.

The Whoa Nellie Deli is still alive and well at Lee Vining.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Anyone have an idea what the backcountry conditions are like along Tioga Road? Would a trip to the Ten Lakes area be possible without snow shoes? The Tuolumne Meadows webcam hasn't been undated since 17 May.

Drew Wiley

I'm about to take my second trip into the backcountry this month. Snowshoes are
    worthless this time of year, but so are inexpensive hiking boots at the higher elevations. I use good well-oiled leather mountaineering boots and either trekking
    poles or an ice axe. Unfortunately one of my poles broke in half when I was fording
    a stream and I took a pretty good dunking in ice water! I always wrap all my camera gear, clothing, and sleeping bag in plastic bags just for such mishaps. There
    are some spectacular thunderstorms over the high peaks, so you have to choose
    your terrain wisely. This coming week may well be a real drencher along much of the crest. Accessible elevation depends on specifically where you go. It's still quite snowy anywhere above 9,000 feet, so expect deep snowdrifts in shaded areas.
    As usual in June, be wary of major stream crossings. The nice thing is that the trails
    aren't dusty yet and the mosquitos are not bad up near the snowline, but very soon
    will be! I didn't see anyone on my last trip, though I passed two parties who gave up
    at the first crossing. The trail was virtually nonexistent above 9000 ft and I returned cross-county and didn't even attempt to follow a standard route. Won't say exactly
    where I went - not many people know about it - but the 4x5 was put to good use!

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Sounds like you are posting this from the Yosemite Lodge. I'll be heading up shortly. Would be amusing to find that we are setting up in the same place.

Preston Birdwell

Just a quick note on Yosemite/Sierra weather for those who may be headed that way in the next few days...

We have been having unseasonable colder weather with many thunderstorms and isolated heavy showers with gusty winds, lightning, and hail. Snow accumulations of five to seven inches are expected above 7,500 feet in the Northern Sierra today (Friday, June 5). Travel over Carson, Ebbets, Sonora, and Tioga passes may be difficult, and conditions in the back country will winter-like.

Conditions are expected to improve as we move through the weekend, but isolated T-storms and unseasonably cold temeratures can be expected through the coming week in the Sierra foothills and the higher country in the range.

If you are planning to head into the higher elevations, be prepared.

For more info, check http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/Sacramento/ or here http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/hnx/ .

Have a great weekend, and be safe out there!

-Preston
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Drew Wiley

Thanks Preston. Every year it seems that the stereotype of the Sierra as "Gentle
    Wilderness" gets people in trouble. In my lifetime I have been in serious blizzards every
    month except July, storms in which people died, and once even saw Hwy 395 closed above Bishop due to snow in August! I have long held the custom of carring winter gear in my pack all year long. Numerous times I have had to lead someone out of the backcountry or loan them gear because they were ill prepared. When I was coming down from Pine Creek Pass one summer a party was getting out of their car at the
    trailhead dressed in T-shirts and shorts. They watched wide-eyed as a horse packer
    went past them in a heavy slicker, with all the mule train packs wrapped in plastic.
    They looked above - the sky was blue and not a cloud in sight. Finally I worked down
    the switchbacks and walked right past them. I had on full gear, and snow was still
    caked to my shoulders and top of my pack. Just over the first ledge a couple thousand
    feet up it was snowing like crazy. Incidents like this have happened over and over
    again. Sometimes the difference between fun and death can simply be a good raincoat,
    jacket, and decent footwear.

I get to finally take my trip to the Sierras in early August! Anybody know if the mountains will still be snowcapped then?

not snowcapped really more something like this on the higher peaks:

this was early Aug. 2006 (edited typo)