Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello, new to LF forum

Hello, new to LF forum

Hello, I'm new to this forum, I've only recently started to use a 9x12 plate camera. I'm from Wales, but have spent most of the last few years in Seoul, South Korea. I should go back to Seoul pretty soon, having been at home for a few months.

I've been shooting 35mm since I was a kid (well, my first camera was 110), and a few years back bought a very beaten up F3 / nice Leitz Valoy. That led quickly to a 6x6 Zeiss folder (and Durst 606). More recently I decided to try LF, but couldn't afford a 5x4 camera at the time - so bought a 9x12 Zeiss instead, I've been cutting down 5x4 film for it. I ended up getting lucky with a Durst laborator 1000, but I won't be able to fit that on the plane to Seoul with me! I'm wondering about using the camera on tripod with a DIY light source and using it as an enlarger when I go back. You have probably guessed, I try to do things on the cheap...

Hopefully I can learn a lot from this forum, thanks for reading.

Peter

Re: Hello, new to LF forum

Welcome to group therepy...hope the forum proves helpful to you...there is alot of information to be had here.

Thanks Vick! Lots of info, hope it's good (and that I'll take some of it in, even...)

Some of the info might even be right!!!

Welcome!

My first camera was also a 110.

Thanks William, hope the mention of 110 brings back some happy memories for you.

The formats I've used keep getting larger, but I'm pretty sure I was more creative as a kid! I hope to hone some craft with a camera, but more importantly find some inspiration too. Removing my jade coloured specs might be the harder part.

Hello pj1860,
    I'm new here too, I'm also from Wales and I've just bought a Zeiss Maximar B, 9x12.
    What a co-incidence?

I've been googling around looking for some film holders (no luck yet) but I did come across an "enlarger adapter" for the Zeiss 9x12. Can't remember where I saw it now, but you'll be able to make something OK.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Welcome Peter... and Richard -- where's your avatar(s)? It is good to have both of you here.

Pitxu, you have a Maximar? Are you looking for film sheaths, or for the plate holders? The plate holders are quite easy to find for those (comparatively easier than for an Ideal). Some 9x12 film sheaths were just on ebay a few days back too.

Brian, I need an avatar? I'll look into it...not sure if I have sufficient privileges yet?

I was out with my 9x12 earlier today, I have 4 negs developing (jobo) as I type, including my first shots with an 88mm B&L lens I was kindly given recently.

Hi Peter,
    I'm not sure of the terminology, but I guess that it's film sheaths that I'm looking for, though I understand that plate holders can be used with film if one inserts a thin sheet of metal in them, to fill up the space normally taken by the glass.

About the avatars, I think Brian is joking with me.
    He remembers me from another board where I was known for my ever-changing, self portraits.

Hi Brian, thanks for the welcome.