Thread: Carl Zeiss Jena Anastigmat 600mm f9

Carl Zeiss Jena Anastigmat 600mm f9

Does anyone have any experience using this lens? Any information on its history, design or coverage would be greatly appreciated. The sample I have is uncoated and the size is quite manageable - about 4 inches tall and it would fit nicely onto a Sinar board. The coverage also seems generous, perhaps 16X20 or even larger. Thanks in advance.

Re: Carl Zeiss Jena Anastigmat 600mm f9

Quote Originally Posted by dshk View Post
    Does anyone have any experience using this lens? Any information on its history, design or coverage would be greatly appreciated. The sample I have is uncoated and the size is quite manageable - about 4 inches tall and it would fit nicely onto a Sinar board. The coverage also seems generous, perhaps 16X20 or even larger. Thanks in advance.
    I just bought one, finding it hard to read up about. Here is a link that implies it's not worth much.

http://collectiblend.com/Lenses/Zeis...8prism%29.html

Mine looks to be very working class craftsmanship, it seems mostly steel with no sign of brass. I can't unscrew the front ellements, I'm not sure if it does unscrew, I'd like someone to tell me before I pop a tendan. Mine is in good knick but needs a bit of a clean on the inside. I suspect I will wish I read up on it a bit better before I bought it.

I'll repost here after I have done some tests.

Nick Thorley www.thorley.com.au

Too little data to be sure but if it is labeled just "Zeiss Anastigmat" without any other comments on the barrel it probably might turn out to be not the cheap (but quite nice indeed) process Apo-Tessar but a Protar series IIIa #10 - which goes for some $3,000 minimum at the 'bay auctions nowadays....

Try counting reflections on the glass. If there are just 2 bright ones on each half, search for the "IIIa" on this forum.

I have found a wealth of information about these process lenses here
    http://www.arnecroell.com/czj.pdf

Nick, I was reading your experiences about this lens and I was curious if could you dissasembly this for cleaning¿ Any tip ¿
    I recently bought the same one ( APO TESSAR f9/60cm made circa 1930) and I´m researching experiences with it but I it´s hard to find many ULF users

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	APO TESSAR.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	36.8 KB 
ID:	208746

Something later, the CZJ trade name Anastigmat was replaced by Protar before the Tessar was introduced. You don't have the OP's lens. Thorley's link in post #2 above was to a modern (post-WW II) Apo Tessar, not to and example of the OP's much older lens.