Thread: Problem building printer color profile

Problem building printer color profile

Hello All,

Hopefully you can help. I’m having problems building a color profile for my Epson 3800 using Bill Atkinson’s 1728 patch color target with my Eye-One Pro and MeasureTool, which is part of X-Rite’s ProfileMaker software. Here is my process: I print the color target (no color management) and then measure it using MeasureTool. The MeasureTool instrument configuration is as follows: under instrument, I have Eye-One Pro, reflection chosen and spectral checked on. Under test chart measurement, I have Bill Atkinson’s RGB 1728 Eye-One.txt and strip with gaps for mode. Once the color target is measured, I save the data in a subfolder inside Eye-One Match’s main folder. In Eye-One Match, I have the 1728 patch reference file named exactly the same as the original 918 patch reference file, which is TC9.18 RGB i1.txt. This is necessary to trick Eye-One software into seeing the 1728 patch file. In the Eye-One Match software, I choose the impostor (renamed) TC9.18 RGB i1.txt reference file for chart and then load the measured file, the one created in MeasureTool. Eye-One Match software then proceeds to build the profile, but gives me a warning that there were errors found. Upon testing the profile, color looks awful!

What am I doing wrong? Any input? Anybody?

I don’t have any technical problems building a color profile using the 918 patch chart and its corresponding reference file. But I was hoping to build a better profile using the 1728 patch chart.

My system: PowerPC G5 running OS X 10.5.7
    Eye-One Match V3.6.2 software.

Tech Support, Chromix, Inc.

Re: Problem building printer color profile

That sounds about right to me. There is also a stub in the colorwiki that explains how to do this:
    http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/More_Targets_for_i1Match

From what I can see your procedure is essentially the same, but you might look this link over to be sure. Are you getting a two-page preview of the Atkinson target when you choose the proper reference in i1Match? If it is reading the reference correctly, it should show you the Atkinson 2 page target.
    Pat Herold
    CHROMiX Tech Support
    www.chromix.com

Quote Originally Posted by pherold View Post
    That sounds about right to me. There is also a stub in the colorwiki that explains how to do this:
    http://www.colorwiki.com/wiki/More_Targets_for_i1Match

From what I can see your procedure is essentially the same, but you might look this link over to be sure. Are you getting a two-page preview of the Atkinson target when you choose the proper reference in i1Match? If it is reading the reference correctly, it should show you the Atkinson 2 page target.
    Thank you Pat. Yes, i1Match is showing me the two page 1728 target preview. Please note that this target comes in 3 different files to accommodate printing on 3 different size papers. Each target file has its own reference file, although all three are of the the same value. I'm using the one that I can print on Epson Super B (Super A3) size paper.

Thanks again.

bernal

I haven't got very far in profiling my printer, but I did manage to profile my Epson 1290 using an Eye One Pro and the argylcms suite of software. I don't remember the details, but after I figured out what to do, everything went smoothly, I got a plausible profile which produced reasonable results.

you can find the software at www.argyllcms.com. I use it under Linux, but it also works under Windows. (In fact, I think most users use that version.) There is an active forum for posting problems which is very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard Evens View Post
    I haven't got very far in profiling my printer, but I did manage to profile my Epson 1290 using an Eye One Pro and the argylcms suite of software. I don't remember the details, but after I figured out what to do, everything went smoothly, I got a plausible profile which produced reasonable results.

you can find the software at www.argyllcms.com. I use it under Linux, but it also works under Windows. (In fact, I think most users use that version.) There is an active forum for posting problems which is very helpful.
    Thank you Leonard. I tried the 1728 target again today with no luck. The 918 target is giving me excellent results, so for the moment I'm going to stick with it until I figure out what the problem is. Just wanted to see how superior a color profile I would get with the 1728 target.

bernal