Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First Time in Utah

Re: First Time in Utah

Rick Denney has been reading my mind again. Possibly very scary. Be careful Rick.

In summation: Stick to southern Utah. Try the North Rim of the Grand Canyon? The advice about Grand Junction is dead on target. Check it out. Going through Green
    River twice seems like punishment to me.

Take the 4x5 camera. You may come upon the right scene at the right time. Don't fret if you don't use it.

Have fun! Bon Voyage! I'm totally envious.

Wayne

ps: Did you compare schedules going to Santa Fe or Albuquerque? The drive to Moab across New Mexico isn't nice.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

The North Rim is VERY nice is September. You might even get some snow. The screaming hordes should be gone from the South Rim by then, but I still like the North Rim better.

John

Cool Re: First Time in Utah

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    ps: Did you compare schedules going to Santa Fe or Albuquerque? The drive to Moab across New Mexico isn't nice.
    Sorry for the typo. The drive across NW New Mexico is WONDERFUL!

The train doesn't actually stop in either Santa Fe or Albuquerque, but you shouldn't have any trouble getting to a car rental place from the train station.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

I live in Grand Junction and, as far as I know, the train stops here every day. You are far better off to stop here and rent a car, drive about 1.5 hours to Moab (take Hwy 128 off I70 for scenic route to Moab). Green River has nowhere near the facilities, and in Grand Junction you have options for car rentals, etc. Let me know if you have any questions.
    Rick

There is, by the way, at least one place in Moab which develops film: Moab Art Works (http://moabartworks.com/film.html). Moab Action shots was, 2-3 years ago, also still doing 4x5. I'd check to be sure. If it were me, I'd use Moab Art Works- not cheap, but I'd guess the better bet. You might even use them for a few shots to be sure everything is going well as you shoot. If you're looking for a guide, Bret Edge is a good one, and may do half-days. I know you can "hire" him to make up shooting itineraries for you, which may put you in the right places at the right time, with limited days there. Check him out at: www.bretedge.com (he's also a Moab police officer). Enjoy!

Go to Arches and spend the 5 days there and forget the drive to other places unless you are willing to add to the time limit. Moab is very friendly with many fine restaurants, Arches is next to town, you will pass by it on the way in. It's a very nice place to visit and relax. The drive from Salt Lake to Moab is kind of dull but when you get there it's very nice. Like John said you could take the train and get off closer. Have fun.

If you are going to end up at LV, be sure to try to see Valley of Fire state park, just southeast of Vegas.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hally View Post
    If you are going to end up at LV, be sure to try to see Valley of Fire state park, just southeast of Vegas.
    Dave
    Actually, it's northeast of Vegas--exit 75 off I-15 if coming from town the quickest way.

Boulder and Hoover Dam are southeast of Vegas.

Rick "who spent lots of time there on a project a few years back" Denney

Get Laurent Martres guide to Southern Utah at phototripusa.com and read it carefully. At the end, there is a rating of sites. It is also wonderfully illustrated, which will help you decide where to go.

Wow...thanks guys. I haven't logged on in awhile and have gotten some more great advice.

I did order Laurent's book and have been combing through it. He did a great job compiling the book. First rate. It's telling me I should plan to spend a year there if I want to see all there is to see.

I would like to get off at Grand Junction but at that time of the year, I'm not sure if it stops there every day. Plus, my wife wants to go to up to SLC.

Thanks again guys.