Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just saying hi everyone! New here.

Just saying hi everyone! New here.

My name is Laura and I am from Salem, Oregon.

I am really excited to join this forum and hopefully learn a lot from you all.

I browsed some of the forum before I joined, and I have to say I am extremely impressed with the photography I have seen so far.

Glad to meet you all.

Laura

Re: Just saying hi everyone! New here.

Hi, Laura. I commute to Salem for work 2-3 times a week. Bush Park was very nice yesterday afternoon. There is a lot of value in this forum, and you'll probably learn quite a bit.

Mike

Welcome to group therepy! What do you use to shoot what???

Quote Originally Posted by Vick Vickery View Post
    Welcome to group therepy! What do you use to shoot what???

Hi, and thanks for the welcome.

I have a digital Fuji S700 and I do everything from flowers to scenic landscapes, and sports cars mostly.

I am still fairly new at the details of all the balances and editing as well as lenses, etc..

I am trying to figure out the format of posting pics on here and the sizes allowed. As soon as I do, I will share some photos with you of my attempts so far.

Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lopez View Post
    Hi, Laura. I commute to Salem for work 2-3 times a week. Bush Park was very nice yesterday afternoon. There is a lot of value in this forum, and you'll probably learn quite a bit.

Mike
    Hi Mike,

I have just recently discovered how large Bush Park really is. I haven't walked the area yet, as I live in South Salem, and avoid downtown when I can, but have taken many photos of other areas of Salem.

I like the mountain areas here as they have some great landscape photo opportunities.

Laura

Aah! That's what's the future of the Large Format Photography...

Hi Laura,

This is a large format forum...Are you planning on shooting with a large format camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Hi Laura,

This is a large format forum...Are you planning on shooting with a large format camera?

Could you perhaps explain the large format camera versus any camera?

Laura

Could you perhaps explain the large format camera versus any camera?
    Obviously, you do not know what a large format camera is. Go on the net and research it. LF cameras are HUGELY different than a DSLR.

Laura,

Welcome to this forum. Please don't get upset by Andrew's reaction not everyone knows everything about photography at the beginning (except Andrew).

You should go to the forum home page and read the articles on How to get started in large format photography.

But in a quick and somewhat sloppy nutshell, large format and view cameras are essentially the same thing. They are the cameras that look "old fashioned". They have bellows between the lens and the film plane-the ones where the photographer is often found underneath a dark cloth to focus the camera.

The negatives are often times considered 4x5" or larger (some people say that it can be smaller) Many large format cameras have the ability to move the lens independently from the film so that you can achieve what are called "movements". This allows you to do effects that a fixed camera cannot do.

Some large format cameras can be hand held and others need to be mounted on a tripod.

Most large format cameras also have the ability to use different types of film/recording media--sheet film, instant film, roll film or digital by changing backs or film holders.

Hope some of this helps and you look more closely at this type of photography