Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Antelope Canyon near Page AZ reality check

Re: Antelope Canyon near Page AZ reality check

I asked my wife about this as she photographed in both the upper and lower canyon a couple of years ago. She said that although there were a lot of people in the upper canyon it worked out OK since they posted someone to stop traffic while an exposure was being made and folks were cooperative. She was shooting with her Hasselblad with a group that was mostly shooting digital.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reyburn View Post
    I visited upper Antelope Canyon a couple of weeks ago on a Friday. My wife and I signed up for the 2 hour photo tour at $45.00 each plus a $6 per person permit. I took my view camera but discovered the the canyon was filled with several regular tours (one hour) plus two or three "photo" tours. I estimate there were at least 150 people in the canyon between 11:00AM and 1:00PM. We had so little time at each location that I was able to only use my Canon G10 digicam resting on my LF tripod. The majority of the visitors were foreign tourists. It appears this site in on the "must see" list for all tourists. The air was completely filled with dust. The guides throw sand and dirt into the air at the light beams to provide diffused light for everyone to photograph. You can imagine what this effect would be on LF lenses and shutters. Fortunately I left my gear in the backpack and only my G10 bit the dust. I did get several good pictures but the real value of the trip was just seeing the canyon.

Antelope Canyon is a beautiful place but in my opinion, it has been extensively commercialized and is not the place it used to be 25 years ago.
    Hey Mike,

Glad to see you made it back. It was neat bumping into you on the road.

Some friends of ours were passing through Page at about the same time, and had the same experience. We had just been in Peek-a-Boo and same thing, packed with people and a lot of boot marks on the walls. Slit canyons are just too popular any more, and don't offer the same experience and awe.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Reyburn View Post
    I visited upper Antelope Canyon a couple of weeks ago on a Friday. My wife and I signed up for the 2 hour photo tour at $45.00 each plus a $6 per person permit. I took my view camera but discovered the the canyon was filled with several regular tours (one hour) plus two or three "photo" tours. I estimate there were at least 150 people in the canyon between 11:00AM and 1:00PM. We had so little time at each location that I was able to only use my Canon G10 digicam resting on my LF tripod. The majority of the visitors were foreign tourists. It appears this site in on the "must see" list for all tourists. The air was completely filled with dust. The guides throw sand and dirt into the air at the light beams to provide diffused light for everyone to photograph. You can imagine what this effect would be on LF lenses and shutters. Fortunately I left my gear in the backpack and only my G10 bit the dust. I did get several good pictures but the real value of the trip was just seeing the canyon.

Antelope Canyon is a beautiful place but in my opinion, it has been extensively commercialized and is not the place it used to be 25 years ago.
    Yuck, see this is what I am worried about, thank you. Maybe I should take one of those cardboard disposable cameras. Yes, thats it.... and if I could find one in 8x10 with Velvia, with a really fast lens.
    I suppose one could just put everything in a baggie, and decide at that moment whether to be a tourist or a photog.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    If I never see another photo of Antelope Canyon it would be fine with me.

Gale
    Bob, the funny part is that I AGREE with you.

Maybe try a wide angle Holga pinhole:
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/193120...ra?cat_id=2202
    Fast Delta 3200 film?

JACKSON BRIDGES - PERIOD...hire him to guide you around to fantastic places...most off the beaten path around Page and he will take you to unique canyons as well...better than antelope imo and not as 'photographed' - with NO other tourists.

jacksonbridges.com

i have used him several times. You may see my canyon shots on my website...and I would agree the canyons are 'overshot'...but worth seeing for sure. I think with jackson you would enjoy yourself. it's a private tour basically. he only takes 1-3 photographers at a time.

he can also take you around page for other fantastic photography. and because he is a photog, he gets it.

And he will help you with gear etc. I have done 4x5 and 7x17 with jackson...great guy too.

Best.

Tim, I also used 4 x 5 for the canyon shots. Just bring some plastic baggies for your lenses and film. not that big of a deal. In addition, Jackson can assist with exposure recommendations, metering, etc. if you would like help in that area.

For what its worth...

We did lower, with the 4x5 and it was not any problem at all. When they saw all the junk we were packing, they simply gave us a photo pass. Basically they just left us alone for all the time we needed. But they did say only 4 hours.

There were a lot of people, and it was crowded. But the people sorta came and went in waves.

Never did make it to upper. After all morning in lower, we were wiped out.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow Bob View Post
    If I never see another photo of Antelope Canyon it would be fine with me.

Gale
    But just once, I'd like to see it depicted as the traffic jam/tourist trap it has apparently become...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."