Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Soare View Post
This may be a silly question, but how do you know how much gas to use? Given that it's invisible, how can you make sure that you've used enough to cover the surface of the developer?
If I understand correctly, butane is heavier than air and will settle at the surface of the liquid, forming a barrier between the liquid and the air above. So I could theoretically store any quantity, however small, of developer in a (glass) bottle, as long as I put in enough butane to cover its surface. Is this correct? But how can I tell if I've used enough (I mean, other than waiting for a few months to see if the developer goes bad )? Is there any trick?
Thanks.
No real trick not to disagree with the earlier poster regarding wether it works or not
I have used this method for over 5 years with the longest period being 9 months or so!
As to how much a generous press of a suitable fitting spray top as the butane does not have a nozzle I use a nozzle that fits a 100mm long tube and spray a generous squirt into a reasonably full container and seal the top with a piece of plastic over the top of the bottle and screw on the lid,with my processer bottles I use the plastic with several rubber bands to hold the air tight seal to hold the gas.
Developer being processor ilford, kodak and e-6 colour chem using half the amount and sealing the rest as for the butane mixing with the developer the chap who put me on to this is a german doctor and is very padantic re: quality etc and did not seem to have any qualms regarding this use.
And I havn,t blown anything up yetPhew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!