Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Butane air replacement

Butane air replacement

Has anyone used butane lighter gas from the small refill canisters to replace air in developer bottles? I have just started using it with Dektol stock solution in a 5 litre container and have noticed no colour change after 2 months in a half full container. There doesn't appear to be any change in activity from fresh either.

I suppose my question is related to any known interactions between the gas and the developer. I have heard of people using the same thing for colour chemistry with very good results.

Re: Butane air replacement

You a smoker? Hope not.

Wouldn't nitrogen, like they use with wine (and nitrogen burst tanks), be a better, less flammable option?

Eric Woodbury

Use nitrogen if you have it. Butane seems like a bad idea. Explosive in the right proportions with air, it has an odorant that stinks and that may react too, and if it is like propane and benzene, it is corrosive to some rubbers and plastics.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Despite all the worry about explosions, Tetenal's Protectan is a mixture of butane and propane and seeing that most aerosol sprays like anti-perspirant contain such gases as the propellant, I think you will find the likelihood of an explosion is not that strong.

Ross

I was intending to be self-righteous and to express surprise that anyone could use such an inflammable gas for this purpose, so I grabbed my usual anti-oxidant agent; Tetenal Protectan which is made for the job, from the darkroom to check it. I've just read the label (hoping to find that it was inert and safe).

However:

" Attention! Extremely flammable. Do not spray on naked flame or any red-hot surfaces. The solvents and gases of this product can produce mixtures of vapours and air which are explosive and combustible. Intentional misuse by deliberately concentrating and/or inhaling contents may be fatal." etc.

I wonder if it would work in a Zippo?

Thanks for the unintended heads up.

Regards - Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    Despite all the worry about explosions, Tetenal's Protectan is a mixture of butane and propane and seeing that most aerosol sprays like anti-perspirant contain such gases as the propellant, I think you will find the likelihood of an explosion is not that strong.
    Its a little different spraying an aerosol that is instantly dispersed and concentrating a flammable gas then emptying it into a table or tray. It is also far from inert. I am sure there are better choices, like Argon gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyon View Post
    Its a little different spraying an aerosol that is instantly dispersed and concentrating a flammable gas then emptying it into a table or tray. It is also far from inert. I am sure there are better choices, like Argon gas.
    In that case, maybe you should use a nitrogen, CO2 and argon wine preserver gas mix.

Well this has been interesting to say the least. For a start the application of the gas is approximately 1/10 of a second in a downward action inside the opening of the bottle and capped immediately.

I'm not surprised at the replies of experts that have never tried the method and immediately adopt the nanny state PC attitude that everything is bad and going to kill you.

No I don't smoke and never have. As for flammable, yes -- very -- however if you have ever lit a gas stove in your kitchen and the gas hasn't immedieatley lit you face a similar danger with the addition of a lit match.

I often wonder how some of you guys get out of bed some days to face the big bad world.

I often wonder how some of you guys get out of bed some days to face the big bad world.

Don't fart near open flames