Thread: Unicolor Film Drum 120 reels

Unicolor Film Drum 120 reels

Just bought a used kit (no instructions). Looks like the four reels I got with it are only 35mm, not adjustable to 120 as with Paterson System 4 reels- ? Am I right that I will need to find 120-specific reels for 120? Anyone know if other brands (e.g., Paterson) will fit in the drum ok?

If anyone would like to sell a few, I'd be interested.

thanks!

Rick

Re: Unicolor Film Drum 120 reels

Many years ago I used metal reels with a Beseler drum. Though, without a center tube, I would need to be careful about light getting in (though there was a light trap) and I would occasionally get uneven development.

Yes, the Unicolor plastic reels (I'm unaware of any others) were not adjustable. I used said system for many years in the '80s to process 35mm and 120 film. The 120 reels are obviously larger. These reels interlocked to each other so they provided a light tight path to allow fluids through their central cores while filling.

Now that I'm thinking about it, the drum came with a few different lengths of tubes that were to be used to provide the light tight liquid path when using stainless reels. The proviso was that the SS reels needed a clear core area so the tubes would fit through them.

A few years ago I dragged mine out for some students only to discover the lid gasket was no longer liquid tight. To many years of being compressed in storage.

I will dig around to see if I've got any of the 120 reels kicking around anymore...it's been a few years since I've seen them (one of the danger of a basement and living in the same place for 20 years).

Dave

Thanks for your replies. Fortunately, the drum arrived with the end cap inverted (not attached to drum), and looks litle/not used, so I may be in luck on the gasket.

Dave, would appreciate your checking on the 120 reels. I've not lived in "basement country" for decades, so my stuff has had to be limited (not that that prevents "now where did I store that?").

Rick

I have always used unidrums with the uniroller and like them very much. I find that Nikor or other SS reels work perfectly well with them, just be sure that the liquid level is adequate.

Lynn