Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you process fuji velvia quickloads by hand?

Can you process fuji velvia quickloads by hand?

I live in las vegas and NOBODY does processing around here anymore. I know a guy that does a good job with b&w, but there is nobody to do color. do i need a jobo or something to process my own or can it be done without the big machines?

Re: Can you process fuji velvia quickloads by hand?

by the way, i'm fairly new to this so all i know about a jobo is the small amount i've read and may be wayyy off base.

All you need is your standard developing tank, etc, and some E-6 chemicals. The only tricky part is keeping the temperature constant. A water bath will handle that, i.e. sink, developing tray, dishpan, whatever, and some hot water. Temps are high, in the 100° F range. Your tank will want to cool down on you. I find it hard to believe there's no place in Vegas that does E-6.
    BTW - If you don't want to do it yoursel, you could send it to A&I in Hollywood. Top notch. www.aandi.com

thanks glenn. I'm going to gather some supplies then and give it a shot. I know it's hard to believe, but yes, there is nobody here that will develop my 4x5 color film. the guy that i take my b&w to had a business partner that did all color, but since the economy took out there place...there is nothing. there were two main photo shops in town, only one of which did processing, and that one just went out of business. there is a little place here that will do a few things but i had them scan a couple of my positive 4x5s and they looked HORRIBLE. then the guy tried to triple the price that he quoted me, no joke. vegas sucks. i'm going to give it a go on my own, thanks for the reply.

If you don't already have the chemistry for E-6 processing you might want to check this company out, they have by far the best price on Kodaks 5L kit.
    http://www.minilab.com/productdetail..._A_skuID_E_629

You will be very satisfied, once you learn to do it yourself. You really can get the best quality that way.

Quickloads are fairly easy to disassemble into a piece of sheet film in a dark room prior to processing. You simply remove the metal clip when you get in the dark, pull the film assembly out of the sleeve, remove two pieces of plastic (one from the top of the film sheet and one from the bottom) and then you have the equivalent to a normal piece of 4x5 film. _locate the notch to determin emulsion side and then develop using your method/apparatus of choice with Kodak E-6 kit or equivalent.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Pedersen View Post
    If you don't already have the chemistry for E-6 processing you might want to check this company out, they have by far the best price on Kodaks 5L kit.
    http://www.minilab.com/productdetail..._A_skuID_E_629
    Thanks for pointing out that resource but considering their shipping charge Adorama is far cheaper.

I would advise the OP to secure a Jobo CPA2 or CPP2 processor that if he plans to continue working in color. Not only will the unit pay for itself over time, but you won't have to worry about finding a lab to do your processing.

Developing color trannies in E-6 is a Royal PITA! Sure, you can do it, but it is tricky to keep the temperature just right, and timing is critical. Also, unless you do a lot of them, the cost is quite high, and you've got to keep fresh chemicals on hand.
    My advice is to find a good commercial processor (in an area with direct air flights from your city) and go with them.
    PS, if you start doing your own processing, there is little point in shooting Quickloads instead of individual films - $$$.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Just did a quick web search for color labs in Las Vegas and came up with this:
    http://www.cashmanprophotolab.com From their website they do 135 and 120/220 but no mention of larger sizes. Pretty good prices too - $3.50 to develope 120. They may be a good resource on what is available in Vegas.

Also, on Kodak's website there is a listing of "pro labs" by state and city. None are listed in NV and the list itseld is far from complete.