Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello, Im new to LF and plan of build a camera

Hello, Im new to LF and plan of build a camera

Hello, I am 18 and will be off to uni in september to study fine art photography and want to build a camera during the summer.

I have not experianced large format photography before but I do have darkroom experiance. The reason I want to make a LF camera is because I am very interested in many of the altenative processes (eg cyanotypes) that require a full sized neg. and maybe one day would like to try collodion. (some day) But plan to start with ortho film.

What I am planning is an 8x10 field camera of the tailboard sort, my reason for wanting to make a tailboard is because it seems to me to be a reletively simple type.

I have acess to a good woodworking facility at my college. Also patterns of how to make bellows

Ok so what I have so far: 8x10 lens says "J.H.Dallmeyers - London" and goes from f6 to f32 and a kodac double sided 8x10 film holder (pictureed at bottom)

I have some questions: but any advice is very welcome

Basicly I have been lead to believe that the focal length of an 8x10 lens is 12 inches - does this mean my bellows only need to be 12 inches? Some have said that I would need 24 inches (wouldent that mean id nead a really long tailboard) - I am confused, what i do know is I want to be able to focus reasonably close e.g someones face filling 8x10. I have seen pictures of 8x10 cameras with short bellows and with long... can anyone fill me in on how this works - How long do the bellows need to be for a close focus?

look at this: http://dpicg.com/collection/cameras/anthony.html that one doesent have very long bellows - would that be able to focus very close?

Thanks very much in advance anyone who replys

Re: Hello, Im new to LF and plan of build a camera

Here's an article that should get you started on focal length - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focal_length

The short answer is that the focal length of the lens is stated for infinity focus and the lens to film distance increases as the subject gets closer. At a 1:1 ratio of image size to subject size (e.g. a coin on the film is the same size as the coin being photographed) the lens to film distance is about twice the focal length of the lens.

joseph

you'll have to experiment to determine the focal length-
    there are scientific methods,
    but if you can find a darkened room with a distant view through a window,
    you can project an image on the wall,
    and measure from there to the middle of the lens-
    that will give a good indication of the length.

As Jim said, double that length will be your bellows extension,
    to get a face to fill an 8x10 frame.

Approximately 20% longer than that will be the dimension of your unfolded bellows,
    maybe a bit more, if you plan on shooting longer lengths rather than shorter-

It's a good project, hope you enjoy making it-

Nice looking lens too-

joseph

If you can make your bellows to extend twice the focal length of your lens, you'll be in business. Double extension capability is something you'll never regret. The only alternative for close up work is to use a shorter focal length. Not the best idea for full face portraits. It makes the nose look too big. Your subjects may be pretty unhappy about that.

Are you using plans, copying a camera, or doing it from scratch?

I think the harder parts will be
    a) A focusing mechanism
    b) making the bellows
    c) making the film holder/ground glass assembly. The tolerances here will probably need to be around .5 to .25mm at the very most.

SF Bay Area 94303

Building a camera is harder than it looks especially if you have never used a view camera and don't appreciate the number of things that can and will go wrong. I would recommend borrowing, buying or renting an 8X10 and learn to use it if you are really into making pictures, on the other hand if you are into precision woodworking and bellows folding have at making one. If you build one, buy a standard film holder first and build it around that. Ansco, Korona and Kodak D2's are good tail board cameras that can be purchased in the $300-500 range. I just bought a Korona that needs some work for $75. Anyway good luck on whatever way you go.

KFry

Buy a large format 8X10 kit to start. It's not easy to built without a blue print and skill. Hope you join us. I use 8X10 Agfa Ansco, 1926-1930.

Bulldog Cameras, www.bulldogcameras.com here in the UK, sell a very inexpensive kit which could be a good starting point for a venture into LF If I were you, I would not attempt to build your own camera until you get enough experience to know what features you do or don't want on the camera; a cheap kit like the Bulldog will give you low-cost experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Joanna Carter View Post
    Bulldog Cameras, www.bulldogcameras.com here in the UK, sell a very inexpensive kit which could be a good starting point for a venture into LF If I were you, I would not attempt to build your own camera until you get enough experience to know what features you do or don't want on the camera; a cheap kit like the Bulldog will give you low-cost experience.
    I'd second Joanna's suggestion, as well as the two that precede it.

I wanted to move to LF by building my camera, but in fact the first LF camera I used was a folding I bought (and still own). The time to spend on building on's camera is easy to underestimate, and mistkaes can be numerous.

If you finally decide to build it anyway, I'd recommend getting a set of plans (see Jon Grepstad's site for this, his plans are very usable), but be careful that changing dimensions can bring a cascade of changes (I had to redraw half of the planbs based on the timber I could find here)

Restoring an older camera might be more practical and satisfying because you could actually use it properly to shoot before the end of the Summer. Once you find a good candidate, you'll want to order a bellows ASAP so it can be made while you do the refinishing.

If someone got good at refinishing 2Ds and Century 8x10s they could probably make a business out of refurbishing them.