Thread: T-Max RS Dilution question

T-Max RS Dilution question

I'm planning to try T-Max RS developer at 1:9 for T-Max 100 4X5. My question is about how to accurately dilute it, and I've seen two very different versions:

I have the smaller bottle, the one designated to make one gallon. Do I mix up that gallon as shown on the Kodak package, then dilute that gallon 1:9 (i.e., 10 gallons total)? Or do I mix the A and B solutions together without adding water, then dilute that stuff 1:9 (i.e., about 10 QUARTS total)? Kodak's technical bulletin is supremely unhelpful.

Thanks,
    Peter

Re: T-Max RS Dilution question

It’s a splendid developer if a little tricky to remember the replenishment process.

The key thing to remember is that your one gallon of stock solution (A+B & 1:9) is ALSO your working solution. (But with practice, you can dilute this further and add development time for compensation effects, etc.)

But what makes Tmax rs developer special is that this 1:9 solution also serves as your replenisher:

For example, let’s say you’re using your 1:9 stock solution as your 1:9 working solution. After you develop one 8x10 sheet (or the equivalent of four 4x5 sheets, or one roll of 135-36), you can simply add merely 1.5 ounces of (new) 1:9 stock solution to your (used) 1:9 working solution, and presto, your working solution is full strength again.

You might consider dividing your single gallon into two, 2-quart containers. Container #1 holds “working” solution; Container #2 holds “replenisher” solution. After you develop your film (with working solution pulled from container #1), add to it the correct amount of replenisher solution (from container #2). Now you have revitalized working solution and can put it back into container #1 as if it’s new. It will go a long, long way. Good for the environment.

Finally, with the recycling, it becomes important to keep in mind “shelf life.”

Richard M. Coda

Use TMax RS "one-shot". Add the little bottle to the big bottle and that is your stock solution. Dilute 1:9 or as necessary. My testing is 1:9 for TMax100 at 75 degrees, and 1:15 for TMax 400, also at 75 degrees.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Thanks to you both--that's how I would have guessed, but it's nice to know for sure.

--Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Coda View Post
    Use TMax RS "one-shot". Add the little bottle to the big bottle and that is your stock solution. Dilute 1:9 or as necessary. My testing is 1:9 for TMax100 at 75 degrees, and 1:15 for TMax 400, also at 75 degrees.
    That is the easy way to do it. I don't like messing with replenishment or saving developer and having to keep track of when it was mixed.

After dumping the little bottle into the big bottle, I can easily add 100 ml from the Kodak bottle and then add water to = 1 liter and I'm ready to go.

That being said, I switched to Xtol and I think I like it better for my purposes but you can't beat TMAX RS developer for convenience.

For latecomers to this brief thread, here’s a link from the LF site’s home page about T-Max films – including useful remarks about using T-Max rs developer:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...xton-tmax.html

I'm planning to mix TMAX RS as:

A+B - and when ready - dilute A+B (1:9) with water.

E.g. to make 1L: 111ml of the A+B solution (= stock?)

+ 889ml water (= working?)

The other question is: massive dev chart mostly mentions times and temps when using TMAX RS stock - anyone know what they mean by stock (is it the same as "working"/diluted, as Heroique mentions above)?

Any recommendations for HP5+ sheet film at 1:9?

Thanks,
    sg
    Last edited by spacegoose; 7-Jan-2011 at 08:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Latner View Post
    I'm planning to try T-Max RS developer at 1:9 for T-Max 100 4X5. My question is about how to accurately dilute it, and I've seen two very different versions:

I have the smaller bottle, the one designated to make one gallon. Do I mix up that gallon as shown on the Kodak package, then dilute that gallon 1:9 (i.e., 10 gallons total)? Or do I mix the A and B solutions together without adding water, then dilute that stuff 1:9 (i.e., about 10 QUARTS total)? Kodak's technical bulletin is supremely unhelpful.

Thanks,
    Peter
    You simply mix parts A and B together to make a single concentrated solution and use that diluted 1+9.