Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi from Birmingham UK

Hi from Birmingham UK

Just registered here - been on APUG for some time but now looking to shoot more with my Agfa Anso 5x7 - which I really enjoy doing.

I am also launching a new retailer of traditional photographic products here in the UK within the next 3-4 weeks. We are just polishing the multi-currency website right now. The whole idea arose out of an original plan to take over a company called Retro Photographic and revive it, but we couldn't agree a deal (were all still friends of course).

I'll be looking for any help with my LF and looking to give any help if I'm able to!

Matt

Re: Hi from Birmingham UK

Welcome to the forum Matt. Anything would be better that Retro. It won't be hard to beat their service. Answer the phone. Answer e-mails. Don't keep people waiting for two months for a box of 5x7 film. Good luck.
    Pete.

Don't forget to join us on the UKLFPG Forums

Another welcome and another invitation/plug to sign up to the UKLFPG

joseph

This film thing is growing at an alarming rate...

I think you've found the right place-
    welcome along...

joseph

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Watkins View Post
    Welcome to the forum Matt. Anything would be better that Retro. It won't be hard to beat their service. Answer the phone. Answer e-mails. Don't keep people waiting for two months for a box of 5x7 film. Good luck.
    Pete.
    Well, yes I agree! This was the reason I approached the company because I could see a good basic business, but management who had lost interest. The company's decline has been almost entirely due to poor communication and other managerial issues - not a declining market, and I want people to understand this.

It is absolutely critical to be clear about stock issues - if something is available then it will be sent immediately, if it isn't then clear communication about when it will be available.

I've been telling everyone how great analogue photography is for years - so I thought, now time to put my money where my mouth is. I already run a business here in Birmingham and have been, for want of a better word, an entrepreneur, since I left university.

Tentative launch date is 1 June 2009 although I haven't announced this anywhere else yet. Route to market is via the web and a walk in "shop" in Birmingham.

How do I get to the UKLFPG?

Matt

Best of luck with your new venture.

http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/

joseph

Well I'd like to be able to buy from you-

I hope your postage rates and minimum order quantities won't be as punitive as your competitors, or I'll have to continue shopping elsewhere...

Matt, That was my problem, they took my money but didn't have the goods in stock. They failed to let me know about the situation. This was not a one off either. If you do open a shop it dosn't need to be open 7 days a week but make sure that it opens when you say it will. I'm off to apply for a bus pass now......no postal costs :-))
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    Well I'd like to be able to buy from you-

I hope your postage rates and minimum order quantities won't be as punitive as your competitors, or I'll have to continue shopping elsewhere...
    Unfair postal costs and minimum order quantities are a major irritation for people and this has come out strongly in the market research we have done. It's no suprise to me that this issue is raised here almost immediately!

Key features will be:

- no minimum order value
    - Postal costs calculated at a fair level, but based on weight. On the website each item is allocated (behind the scenes in the back office) a weight eg. 35mm film 50g. Then there will be tiers of costs - so up to, say, 500g £x up to 1kg £x etc (we haven't fully decided the tiers or costs yet because we are still talking to the carriers). The shopping cart will show the postage cost incurred at any one time and items can be added/taken away and the resulting postage recalculated.

It is quite difficult to come up with a universal postage system that works on the website, but I hope that this will be the best solution.

I expect orders over £100 will be free of delivery cost.

For Ireland, I am not yet sure - however it will be competitive.

Matt