Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Complete Newbie to LF Photography

Re: Complete Newbie to LF Photography

Keh.com has several used Field Cameras and is a good source of used 4x5 gear. Except for my Shen Hao, bought new, all my other gear came from Keh. If considering new gear the Shen-Hao and Chamonix are the choices for field cameras. Shen-Hao has worldwide stocking distribution and is available everywhere. I hear good things about Chamonix too and in the USA is only available via special order! If you want all the movement a field camera has stay away from a Crown/speed graphic (nothing wrong with them i have two that were refurbished they just dont have the movements that a field camera has).

You almost never see Shen-Hao or Chamonix on Craig's list or E Bay which speaks to their popularity.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

Thanks Wally!

Actually even though I said I didn't want a monorail, I've came across an extreme deal on a bender camera kit. After reading through tons of reviews and articles on it, I think that for the price I found it for, is the way I am going to go.

Now, to decide on a lens... :P

Congrats on the camera! Its a disease but its too late for you! ;-). Lens wise I would look for a 150ish in size. The 'ish' is the -/+ 15mm around 150. My thoughts are to stick with one lens, and shoot a bunch of pictures with it. Get a feel for what it does, and if it incorporates well into how you currently shoot. Hmm, with that in mind what is your favorite lens in 35mm? A wide angle lens in 4x5 is pretty much anything lower than 130, anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, be prepared for the time difference in setting up your shots vs the 35mm. This part drives my wife nuts, especially if I'm the one shooting the shot. With time and practice it goes faster.

film wise there are some good deals to be had with color a bit more expensive than B&W. I currently shoot Fomapan B&W in 4x5 and 120 and for the price/quality love it. After that you have kodak and ilford and you cant go wrong with either. If you like shooting at night learn about film reciprocity if you are using fomapan, its failure rate, though fun to play with, makes for loooooooong shots.

We currently use an old day pack to cart the film, camera, tripod, light meter, stop watch, notebook, tripods, snacks...:-). Yes I am the sherpa.

enough rambling, get the lens, get the film start shooting and enjoy it!

./e

Thanks! Even though I said I was getting the bender, I was outbid on it with about 15 seconds to go! Frustrating, but a blessing in disguise as well! I found an EXCELLENT 'buy it now' deal on a 4x5 Cambo SC. Again, a monorail, but for the condition and price, I just couldn't pass it up. It should be here tomorrow hopefully!

It's bad enough to come down with the Large Format Flew. But to also fall victim to ebayBIN. You got it Bad!

Enjoy. Slow down. Shop here first.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Midwest also sells the Shen Hao. The Chamonix is the competitor however I believe is only available via special order. Both of these are excellent quality and for a little bit more money than for a used Wista you get a new camera. The issue with the press type of cameras is they do not have the range of movements that these two field cameras have. You almost never see the Shen Hao or Chamonix on Craig's List or E Bay. I have the Shen Hao and wouldn't trade it for any camera. With either you wont be sorry
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.