Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Most consistent developer method

Most consistent developer method

Just doing a bit of research into what - if any - is the most consistent way to develop 5x4 b+w sheets to give even results. I've been rotary processing for years, and now and again I get such lovelies as edge build up that can crop an image too much. I'm leaning towards trays (of some sort) as being possibly the least unsuccessful method, but is it possible to get edge to edge consistency with any method? I mean the sort of quality where it would be possible to print a neg taken in fog, with plenty of sky, and have the proper density right over the surface of the neg, without using elaborate nitrogen systems or using a digital back.
    Cheers
    Richard

Re: Most consistent developer method

Constant agitation is the clear winner. Read Haist. Henry. The other researchers.

I get consistently excellent and perfectly even development for 5x4 using a Jobo 3010 tank on a Jobo CPP-2. TMY-2 (and before that many hundreds of sheets of Tri-X) in XTOL 1:3, 20C, 30 rpm, reversing. I've put well over a thousand sheets through this system and without fail get perfectly even skies,[/URL] and even perfectly smooth fog on those rare occasions when I'm able to shoot in fog (only when I make a trip to the mountains and get lucky).

I started with trays and moved to BTZS tubes looking for more even development. BTZS tubes weren't the answer for me either, but the 3010 tank and the Jobo were. It's so good it lets me forget about it completely so I can concentrate more the art, and that's a good thing.

Bruce Watson

Phil Davis developed and promoted development in tubes, with agitation carried out by turning the tubes in a tray of water. The agitaiton is constant but random and gives perfectly even negatives if done correctly.

Davis used tubes for ilm testing at BTZS workshops. At one time he used tray develoment but found that this method lacked sufficient accurcy.

For the maximum in even develoment I would recommend that you use a combinatin of developer/dilution/tempreature that allows develoment times of over 8-10 minutes.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Littlewood View Post
    Just doing a bit of research into what - if any - is the most consistent way to develop 5x4 b+w sheets to give even results. I've been rotary processing for years, and now and again I get such lovelies as edge build up that can crop an image too much. I'm leaning towards trays (of some sort) as being possibly the least unsuccessful method, but is it possible to get edge to edge consistency with any method? I mean the sort of quality where it would be possible to print a neg taken in fog, with plenty of sky, and have the proper density right over the surface of the neg, without using elaborate nitrogen systems or using a digital back.
    Cheers
    Richard

You are the most consistent developer method. Keep all variables the same. Sandy's suggestion of using a combination that allows development times of over 8-10 minutes is sound advice.

I doubt if you'll be lucky enough to find one in the States but the Patterson Orbital developing tanks are just brilliant. Four 4x5's, two 5x7's (or half plates), one 8x10.
    Best wishes,
    Pete.

I would also second the recommendation for a developer mix and temp that allow at least 8 minutes. I use patterson reels and tanks for 35mm, and can do 4x5 in either tray or hp combiplan tank with good results.

In any system there has to be a Zen like state of mind or shall we say Zazen

No mind, it works-however it has to be a watchful no mind state. However, its the times the mind drifts away and you find your watch stopped or the chemicals weren't quite tempered, the agitation cycle didn't match your established norm,etc that produces inaccurate results. Then there's other stuff- like inside/or outside the camera problems.

That said, the ISO method was established for a reason. Bi directional agitation. I made a sheet film holder for use in a tray using plexi and plastic screws. The stainless tray itself has welded pivot points to allow the tray to be placed inside another stainless tray the contains an submersible heater and pump.

Any developer will do just mix it the same each time.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Littlewood View Post
    Cheers
    Richard

I've tried most every way there is to develop sheet film and I've had good results with most. There really is a lot to the part about you and how well you refine your technique, whatever method you use.

Longer times, good temperature control, plenty of developer and gentle regular agitation work for me. Get your process tuned and then do it the same every time.

I think the least troublesome and best results for me have been hangers and tanks. Pick up and set down the hangers once each minute, alternating the corner I drop to let drain.

Definitely go for longer developing times as stated previously. I use Xtol 1:3 with (mostly) HP5 for 16 minutes and its always perfectly even. I get very good results with roll film in small tanks with reels using the same developer and technique.

Use plenty of developer. The idea is to develop your film to perfection, not to see if you can save a few ounces of developer.

Control the temperature. If that's difficult in your situation use a chart that gives times for different temperatures.

Pay attention and agitate the same every time.

You're probably already doing most of this but stop and think our process through and write it down and tape it to the darkroom wall. To make sure you are really consistent follow the written instructions each time.

Become a robot.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ambrose View Post
    Become a robot.
    Agreed. Or... just use one.

That was the problem I had with most of the popular development methods. I couldn't become a sufficiently good robot. Then it dawned on me that I couldn't be the first person to have this problem. When I started doing research looking at it from that perspective I found that people like John Sexton were using Jobos. I eventually landed a good deal on a used CPP-2, and finally reached the level of consistency for which I had been striving.

What makes the Jobo system work is that it's like a robot. Does the same things in the same way, each and every development cycle. Which is what leads to consistent results.

Bruce Watson

joseph

After ironing out some teething problems,
    I'm starting to get consistent results using a slosher-
    a sheet of perspex with stainless steel screws to hold 4 8x10's,
    developed in a 20x16 tray.

Next thing to concentrate on will be to develop without fingermarks on the edges,
    but I think that might be the same problem with any method, for me-

Must get some cotton gloves already-