Thread: Suggestions for Fall Shooting in VT/NH Region?

Suggestions for Fall Shooting in VT/NH Region?

Just a quick question to other LF shooters. Do you have any favorite areas in V ermont and New Hampshire that you would recommend during the first couple of wee ks in October? Any comments and/or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Than ks.

Here's a good start:

http://danbeauvais.com/photo/nh/

I live in Vermont and have been photographing here for 20 plus years and I'm always finding something new. I would say get some good road maps and stay off the main highway. You should find your fill of photos. Just beware we had a very dry summer this has in the past played a big roll on how the leaves will look.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net

I also live in Vermont, and have some maples turning in front of the house, I sometimes use the interstate roads for the wide angle views, rt 91, is closest to me. I live 5 miles from Waits River.

Matt, In Southern Vermont & NH the leaves usually peak Columbus Day weekend and the main roads (such as Route 9 between Brattleboro and Bennington) are jammed with leaf-peepers. Go farther north at that time, it will be less crowded. I spent four years in the Putney, VT area --- the back roads around there are really nice --- dirt road between Putney (rte 5) and Westminster West, road up Putney Mountain over to Newfane, various dirt roads between Putney & Dummerston, back road from Putney School down to the village, etc. Old graveyards are interesting, hike up Putney Mt. (short hike) for views and rocks, good architecture in Brattleboro and Bellows Falls. Personally I prefer the dead of winter when no tourists are around. Have a great trip!

Hi Matt,

I am not sure where you are starting from but if you head to Rt. 93 in NH and go North, there is a great loop that you can do. Shortly after exit 30 you enter Franconia Notch in the White Mountains, there at many places to stop along the way in the park and you are surrounded by peaks and steep cliffs. Here is where you will find the "Old Man" of the mountain. Find a new NH quarter for a visual!

After Franconia Notch continue north to the Rt. 3 exit, I think exit 36, and follow to Rt 302 east towards Crawford Notch. Another spectacular valley of high cliffs and foliage. You will pass the very noticable Mt. Washington Hotel, as well as the cog railway, and Mt. Washington itself.

You can continue on Rt 302 down to Conway, for good outlet shopping, or take a nice shortcut in Bartlett, the Bear Notch road on the right, which winds its way up to Kancamagus Highway (Rt 112). It affords some nice views of the valley on the way up to the Kanc and should give you a nice carpet of fall foliage.

Once you get up to the Kanc you can turn west (right) towards Lincoln to complete the loop back to Rt. 93, or turn east towards Conway. The Kanc is a gorgeous stretch of road in any season and climbs almost to 3000 feet at one point. There are tons of scenic stop-offs and a number of camping areas in the National Forest and State Parks along this route

Enjoy! James

As a former resident of southern NH, I can recommend the coast in fall. Particularly HWY 1A between Seabrook and Portsmouth - great rocky/moody views. If you are coming from farther south, a quick 30 min. out of Boston can give you a taste, and time to roam farther if need be. Depending on what you are looking for, you can get "fall colors" only a few miles inland - or quaint harbour scenes in and around Rye or Portsmouth.

Beverly Hills, California

Matt O.:

Definitely, when in that area, I think of the incomparably beautiful buildings and surrounding Berkshire mountains foliage in Williamstown, Massachusetts (just a stones throw south of Bennington, Vermont).

All the Vermont locals will tell you Williamstown is a must see in October or after a snow fall!

(It happens to also be the town of my alma matter, Williams College.)

You picked a wonderful spot to be, and please do visit the campus!

Andre

With adding a little more info as above stated, in NH, go north from Conway and take the small walk into Glenn Ellis Falls. I also agree with the Putney VT roads! I spent 5 days in that area alone!!!