Thread: Hello from Dallas

Hello from Dallas

Hi y'all,

My name is Michael. I am an avid hobbyist who started with a Mamiya C220 and a Konica back in the late '60s early '70s. Been shooting digital since about 2000 and almost a decade later decided to take the giant leap into "real" photography this week. Found the site, read up on all posts and reviews, read "View Camera Technique" and ordered my equipment today!
    I hope to learn more each time I visit and can't wait to use a 4X5 for the very first time.

Big Bend

Re: Hello from Dallas

Welcome Michael,
    You can't help but learn something every time you visit this site. There is an incredible wealth of knowledge here and very generous folks willing to share that wealth. Congrats on your first 4x5.

Best
    Joe

You're in the right place. I still remember my first 4x5 shot I took at Brooks Institute of an archway with a Cambo SC on Tri-X back in 1977. I now have two 4X5 cameras and a bunch of glass. What a journey. Joe is right, you'll find lots of friends here all willing to help with an encouraging word and quick answers to all your questions. Welcome and good light!

RF

Octogenarian

Hi Michael,

If you want someone to help you learn to operate your new toy, feel free to contact me.

We have a small group of guys that get together on Sat. morning and go to a location in the DFW area. We photograph many interesting scenes and objects with our LF cameras.

If the weather doesn't cooperate, we meet for breakfast and talk photography.

Quote Originally Posted by Gem Singer View Post
    Hi Michael,

If you want someone to help you learn to operate your new toy, feel free to contact me.

We have a small group of guys that get together on Sat. morning and go to a location in the DFW area. We photograph many interesting scenes and objects with our LF cameras.

If the weather doesn't cooperate, we meet for breakfast and talk photography.
    I wish I'd known about you guys when I lived in Dallas. (Though that was now 11 years ago.) After having lived in San Antonio, Dallas seemed rather uninspiring for landscape work, and moving to Dallas in '93 was the main reasons I stopped large-format work at that time. If you guys were active then, you might have given me a pep talk!

Rick "business travel was the other reason" Denney

Octogenarian

Landscape photography in the DFW metroplex is limited.

The largest hills here are made by red ants.

However, we usually manage to find interesting things to photograph within a 100 mile radius of DFW. Architectural and pastoral subjects.

Ft.Worth has some interesting scenes and objects. We photographed a huge wind farm north of Dallas, near the Red River, a couple of Saturdays ago. Planning on going back there again.

Thanks all. I would love to join you guys.
    I have another club breakfast meeting every 2nd Saturday. Please let me know the what, where, and when. Thanks. My e-mail is michael@kan.com

Welcome to group therepy, Tex. Hmmm...bunch o' them dern Texicans around here! Sure do wish y'all'd stop sending all of your bad weather east to Mississippi! Any time I plan an outdoor shooting session for tomorrow, I check the weather in Texas yesterday and today!

Lots of good info on this site, Michael, and the folks here are very free with it...sometimes we even get it right!! Hope you enjoy your step into the large format world.

Thanks y'all. Spent hours already reading posts and articles, now am ready to get my hands on the boxes being shipped to me by MPEX.

Mike