Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hello from Rockland Maine

Re: Hello from Rockland Maine

Welcome to group therepy! Bet that Speed generated some interest at the Atlanta races!

Michael Alpert

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Powell View Post
    The old prison in Thomaston, was demolished several years ago.

It had been abandoned for a few years - but during that interval it was used as the setting for the movie "The Green Mile".

I understand that Tillman Crane, who lives in nearby Camden, was able to get access to the prison for a few hours before just before demolition started and was able to make some 5x12 images, but AFIK they have never been published.
    Louie,

I don't think you are quite right about the end of the prison. If I remember correctly, the buildings were plowed into the quarry, at the center of the prison, within a year of its closing. I was let in (with a body guard) the February before it closed. I made a number of photographs; but, frankly, it was architecturally fairly uninteresting industrial space--with bars. Although I was there to take photos of the buildings, not the inmates, I had a chance to talk with a number of people. Inmates and guards were dreading the move to a new prison in nearby Warren. In Thomaston, the prisoners did not wear uniforms and were given relative freedom (if they behaved themselves); at Warren it is much more restrictive, with a predictably higher incidence of violent behavior. Tillman did make some photos of the Thomaston prison before it was demolished. But I believe The Green Mile was made earlier and elsewhere (I imagine in a film studio).

The only movie made at the Thomaston prison, that I'm aware of, was The Shawshank Redemption. I used to visit the inmates workshop store on the main street in Thomaston and could get great crafts there. An inmate once told me that it was the only prison to ever serve lobster to the inmates.

Nate Potter, Prince Edward Isle, Canada

A little late to the party but welcome to the forum.
    I spent a little time in Rockland/Camden in the 90's. Enjoyed fishing off the breakwater for mackerel. Beautiful country...plus the Wyeth museum.

Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Potter View Post
    The only movie made at the Thomaston prison, that I'm aware of, was The Shawshank Redemption. I used to visit the inmates workshop store on the main street in Thomaston and could get great crafts there. An inmate once told me that it was the only prison to ever serve lobster to the inmates.

Nate Potter, Prince Edward Isle, Canada
    The Green Mile exteriors were filmed at a prision in Tennessee....in Nashville.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120689/locations