Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from Rockland Maine

Hello from Rockland Maine

I've recently started using a speed graphic 4x5 with tmax 400 film.

I'm in my 30's now and have shot B&W 35mm since high school and have had a darkroom the whole time. I did a huge amount of sports photography in high school and college, and a little scenic.

In the past 8 years, I've done lots of digital SLR stuff, scenic, family, radio tower panoramas for work. I do a little infrared digital too, with a camera I had converted by lifepixel.

With the prevalence of digital, I've got a hankering for the unique tone and range of real black and white. I usually use d76 to process the film, and I'll use a dichroic enlarger to print it on variable grade paper. Fairly normal stuff, but I've done so many prints with 35mm, I've got a pretty good system and consistent results that I like.

I will likely do a bunch of scenic stuff in Maine here this spring and summer. I would like to do aerial photos too.

Most recently, I've been at Road Atlanta for the Mitty historic sports car races. I took 75 4x5 photos and 1300 digital photos.

Re: Hello from Rockland Maine

Welcome to the forum!
    Cool looking camera ya got there.

Darr

fascinating portrait

Thanks for the commens, what do you like about the portrait? I consider it more of a snapshot, one of two I have in my posession that have me and my camera, so the choices weren't big. I wish I had taken my sunglasses off for the shot, but I like the cars and lines/perspective of the WA lens.

I like buying wooden handicrafts from your State Prison there. Maine criminals are better craftsmen than most, it reflects well upon your state.

lol have fun. What kind of job is "shooting radio tower panoramas"?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    I like buying wooden handicrafts from your State Prison there. Maine criminals are better craftsmen than most, it reflects well upon your state.
    The old prison in Thomaston, was demolished several years ago.

It had been abandoned for a few years - but during that interval it was used as the setting for the movie "The Green Mile".

I understand that Tillman Crane, who lives in nearby Camden, was able to get access to the prison for a few hours before just before demolition started and was able to make some 5x12 images, but AFIK they have never been published.

I shot 4-5 35mm rolls of black and white during tours that were given before the prison was demolished. Haven't printed much of it yet. I have several bookshelves built by the inmates, excellent furniture made in a way you can't get at walmart/home depot, etc.. The state prison is in a nearby town, and the woodcraft store is still open in it's original location.

I own an ISP that does a lot of wireless links and wireless networks. We own about a dozen towers and use about 70 rooftop or tower locations total. We need real good panoramas from them so we can plan links and coverage without needing to hike a mountain or await good weather when we wonder if something is doable. Radio links generally need line-of-sight, and there is no substitute for visual verification, though mapping programs can aid our work too.

This photo is from Benner Hill in Rockland, the church is in Tenants Harbor, and the island in the background is Monhegan, a great place to visit for anyone interested in American art. We have equipment there on the water tower. The island is about 27 miles away in this shot.

The link below is a zoomable pano from a building in downtown Rockland. The freebie zoomify software comes highly recommended for web based panorama display.

http://www.f64.nu/photo/tmp/bigpano/

Road Atlanta?.......Boy that sure brings back some fond memories of the SCCA Champion Spark Plug Road Racing Championships. I went to those races for several years in my previous life. A friend of mine got press passes and we were able to go anywhere on the course. Paul Newman sure proved he could drive a race car on that course. Welcome.

Since there was a great deal of interest in the local prison, I've scanned some of my photos from the tours in 2002 before they demolished it.

Gallery link:

http://www.f64.nu/gallery2007/view_a...lbum148&page=1

Talking Re: Hello from Rockland Maine

Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    Thanks for the commens, what do you like about the portrait?
    For me its the Jaguar on the left