Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rollholders on 6 x 9 technical and field cameras

Rollholders on 6 x 9 technical and field cameras

I've got a Horseman VH, which is an affordable compact camera with full movements for someone willing to limit himself to 120 rollfilm. Horseman even provided some attractive accessories that make it more flexible than just a bellows folder with a groundglass back. A Horseman Rotary Back attempts to reduce the tedium of physically swapping out the conventional GG focusing panel and rollholders with a rotating film gate and GG port. Unfortunately, it does this at the cost of adding 25mm of extension to a body design that already is only minimially friendly to short-focus lenses. On a flat board (no recessed boards are available), without the Rotary Back, the shortest lens the VH can focus using the focusing rack is 65mm--not very impressive when shooting 6 x 7 frames. With the Rotary Back, the limit is more like 90-100mm lenses.

A workaround for this problem with 4 x 5 bodies and 120 rollholders is to slip the rollholder under the focusing frame, just as you would a sheetfilm holder, but the 4 x 5 frame 120 holders have a relatively wide flange which centers knobs and other paraphenalia in the center of the frame so they don't get hung up on the Graflok springs. The 6 x 9 rollholders can't avoid this and require the GG focusing frame to be removed so that Graflok clamps can attach the rollholder.

Recently I noticed that Toyo makes a thin-bodied 6 x 9 rollholder that might slide under the focusing frame for international G backs. I do see some protrusions on this design that might cause problems. I am particularly interested in hearing about attempts to mount this back on Graphic 23 or Horseman VH/VH-R/ER-1 models.

Here are images of the Toyo rollholder; this one is 6 x 9, but I think there were also other frame sizes.

Re: Rollholders on 6 x 9 technical and field cameras

Brian - I have one of the Toyo 2x3/6x9 holders. (It was also made in a 2x3/6x7 version as well as 4x5/6x9 and 4x5/6x7 versions.)

It can be used with the VH/VH-R the same way as the Horseman rollholders - using the Graflok sliders after removing the GG. It can't be used as a slide-in holder - not even close. It's both too wide and too thick, by a fair margin. I measure 38mm thick at the film gate.

I might add, the Toyo holder, while much bulkier than the Horseman holders, does feel somewhat better-made. The film path is certainly flatter, because the spools sit out on the ends of the holder, not behind the film gate as in the more compact Horseman holders. If you like printing your negatives full-frame with border, though, you might not like the Toyo - its guiderails have odd gaps in them that mess up the border of the image area.

If you want a modern slide-in rollholder for the VH/VH-R, you have one choice - the Linhof 2x3/6x7 Rapid Rollex (not Super Rollex). I have one of those as well. Strictly speaking, I believe it was designed for the 2x3 Technika, or at least for some Linhof camera; its locking ridges don't match the groove on the Horseman back. There may also be a modest T-distance discrepancy (this may be true with the Toyo holders as well.) But while it doesn't lock into place, I've found that it is usable, without light leaks.

I use this one, one for all five formats, i.e. 6x4.5, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 and 6x12cm...

"Recently I noticed that Toyo makes a thin-bodied 6 x 9 rollholder that might slide under the focusing frame for international G backs. I do see some protrusions on this design that might cause problems. I am particularly interested in hearing about attempts to mount this back on Graphic 23 or Horseman VH/VH-R/ER-1 models."

Linhof makes a 6x7cm Rapid Rollex slip-in roll film holder in sizes for 6x9 and 4x5 cameras. The 6x9 one will fit your camera.

Calumet also markets universal roll-film holders that will slide in under the ground glass on ANY 4x5 camera. They show them in 6x12, 6x9 and 6x7 sizes. They have dark-slides, so they can be removed between shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    "Recently I noticed that Toyo makes a thin-bodied 6 x 9 rollholder that might slide under the focusing frame for international G backs. I do see some protrusions on this design that might cause problems. I am particularly interested in hearing about attempts to mount this back on Graphic 23 or Horseman VH/VH-R/ER-1 models."

Linhof makes a 6x7cm Rapid Rollex slip-in roll film holder in sizes for 6x9 and 4x5 cameras. The 6x9 one will fit your camera.
    Oops,
    the 45 one will fit your camera. Back to my original post thanks to Oren. The 69 version will fit your camera.
    Last edited by Bob Salomon; 6-May-2009 at 10:12.

Folks, Brian is trying to mount rollholders on 6x9 Horseman cameras and 2x3 Graphics. The 4x5-version rollholders aren't relevant here.

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    Folks, Brian is trying to mount rollholders on 6x9 Horseman cameras and 2x3 Graphics. The 4x5-version rollholders aren't relevant here.
    Yes, and I think the exact question is regarding a rollfilm holder that will slide into his Horseman 6x9 ground glass back, so he does not have to remove the GG back or use the rotary back.

There was a thread about this on APUG a while back. Someone suggested this: http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/adapt-a-roll.html

Um, Brian, I use Adapt-A-Roll 620 holders with my 2x3 Graphics. They slide between the focusing panel and the back of the camera like sheet film holders. Big drawback is that they must take up on a 620 spool. Smaller drawback is that they take the film up inside out. Minor drawback is that the the film advance doesn't lock when the film has been advanced one frame; one has to watch the counter or count clicks. 4 clicks = 1 2x3 frame.

Since 620 spools are a little scarce, I respool exposed film right side out on a 120 spool before sending it to the lab. That's what changing bags are for.

Oh, and by the way, I wrote the FAQ that ic-racer directed you to.

Cheers,

Dan

A different approach is to use the Horseman Reflex Viewfinder. It has the GG attached to it so when you remove it to use your rollfilm holder, there is nothing in the way of the roll film holder. It seems to enable accurate focusing and you won't need a dark cloth.

The main problem is deciding what to do with the viewfinder while the roll film holder is mounted. (I'm talking about the small monocular reflex viewfinder, not the large binocular).

Good luck, Jeff Keller