Thread: anti-glare or museum glass for scanning?

anti-glare or museum glass for scanning?

Hi all...

I've been thinking about getting a piece of anti-newton glass to use with my Epson V700 scanner. What I'd like to do is put my neg emulsion down on the scanner glass and lay a piece of AN glass on top.

Has anyone here done that?

Is it possible to use regular anti-glare glass or even museum glass instead of anti-newton?

I'm also wondering if I'd get newton rings from the emulsion touching the scanner glass? Right now, I don't get newton rings when I just tape the negs emulsion down but maybe from the added pressure of the AN glass...?

Thanks all...

Re: anti-glare or museum glass for scanning?

Yes, and this has been discussed before. Some people get a texture from single-sided anti-glare glass, whereas others don't. It tends to have a slightly coarser structure than regular AN glass for enlargers. It's cheap, though, and so by all means give it a try.

I take it that by "museum glass" you mean anti-reflection coated glass. This should greatly minimize newton's rings without imparting any texture, but it's delicate and difficult to clean.

Another option is to wet mount using Prazio Oil or Kami and polyester film. This will certainly get rid of Newton's rings, but it is more work. On some scanners it gives increased quality, but on some others it doesn't make much difference.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Re: anti-glare or museum glass for scanning?

I use anti-glare or anti-reflective glass from a picture framer. Works fine, and I've not noticed any unwanted textures or artifacts.

I take off the 120 film holder's flimsy clip, lay the negative in the channel emulsion side up, then lay the glass strip on top of the negative. Works wonders for curly films!