So I was reading about Sergey Prokudin-Gorsky, the father of color photography. He traveled all over Russia from 1909-1915 using a very early color photo process. He took three identical black and white photos, each with a red, green or blue filter. Then he would combine all three shots using red, green and blue light to produce a complete color photograph.

Upon reading this I realized the same could be done with modern black and white film using three filters and Photoshop. Below is my first attempt. I took three shots on TMX film (35mm, sorry!) using 25A, 58 and 47B filters, then aligned and merged them in Photoshop.

I figure this could come in handy. For one thing, it's a way to develop "color" film at home without using color chemicals or needing to send it to a lab. It might even be cheaper, although I haven't calculated it. It's also great if you're out in the field with only black and white film and you realize your shot would look better in color.

So does anybody have any experience with this? Is this more trouble than it's worth? Am I crazy?