Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: InfraRed film and the Shen Hao TZ45-11B

InfraRed film and the Shen Hao TZ45-11B

I've been offered one of these cameras in mint condition at a reasonable price and hope to pick it up in a week.

I was about to order some Efke film and the thought struck me, will I have any problems with fogging on IR films?

Are the bellows opaque enough etc?

Re: InfraRed film and the Shen Hao TZ45-11B

Fintan,

I was actually thinking about the same thing. I would guess that they would be ok as they make the film for it. Unless you need to add a bag-type bellows around the main set. That could prevent any light or IR from getting through. That and I was thinking that I would need to bring a small cooler to keep the negs in the holders cooler than the outside temp.

santo

I have found the Efke IR film to be as stable as any other B&W film and do not treat it any differently in the field than say Tri-X.

You should also not have any issues with your bellows. If it is light tight enough not to fog regular B&W film it will not fog the Efke film

It is the now-discontinued Kodak Infrared film that was more sensitive, because it had more infrared sensitivity than any of the current infrared capable films.

I have tried to use my Shen Hao with HIE. Unfortunately the bellows on my Shen Hao leaks IR big time. The negatives where un usable. The Efke films might work better as they are not as sensitive to IR.

Quote Originally Posted by Wallace_Billingham View Post
    I have found the Efke IR film to be as stable as any other B&W film and do not treat it any differently in the field than say Tri-X.

You should also not have any issues with your bellows. If it is light tight enough not to fog regular B&W film it will not fog the Efke film
    WRONG!
    And I'm not the only one who has/had a camera with bellows not suitable for ir film.
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/6...red-proof.html

OK, this was with a Chamnix bellows, I gues we will have to try it and see how things turn out.

Not every bellows uses the same material, so there will be a diference in usability of IR films.

Peter

I have put the TV remote into the camera and tried to change the channel with it through the bellows. If it doesn't change the channel, then it is good for IR film (as far as I know). I need to do that with my new 8x10 (even though according to the manufacturer, it is IR light tight). I have shot IR with the two cameras I have tried this with no problems.

Diane, interesting idea. I tried it with my Cham and I couldn't change the channel.

The only true test is to load a holder with the film and put in camera, pull the dark slide out half way and let stand out side for 10 to 15 minutes. Test on a sunny day around.

I have seem bellows on the same make of camera work on one camera and not work on a different camera because different materials were used to make the bellows.

So the best thing to do is test it.
    Richard T Ritter
    www.lg4mat.net