Thread: Plate-holder adapting to Sheet-film cameras.

Plate-holder adapting to Sheet-film cameras.

Years ago, I got from ebay a couple of glass-plate holders that I thought were common 8x10 exterior dimension..but they were not, they are a little wider, thus won't fit into standard 8x10 view camera backs.

The locating ridge on them is in another place also, but since it is outside the place the ridge is on conventional film holders, I don't think that is much of a problem.

One holder says 8X10 STERLING PLATE..it is a double sided plate holder with one set of wood inserts for using smaller plates.

The other holder says 8x10 BROMIDE. Folmer Graflex corp. It is a single-side holder with a hinged back and also came with one set of reducing inserts made of wood. This would be harder to "cut down" because it has the hinges for the back wrapped around one end.

I had hoped one of these holders to form the basis of a wet-plate holder to use with my standard 8x10 cameras. I guess my options are to either carefully cut one of the holders down in heigth so it will slide in under the ground glass on an existing 8x10 camera, or find a 8x10 plate back that would fit these holders and I could adapt to one of my wood 8x10 or 11x14 field cameras.

Suggestions?

Re: Plate-holder adapting to Sheet-film cameras.

Hi Gene,

I have an 8x10 Bromide holder which I cut down for wet plate work. The style I have has hinges on one side (the 10 inch side) and small clips on the back on the opposite side, which are recessed and don't extend all the way to the edge of the wood . I ran the holder through a table saw and trimmed off about 1/4 inch from the side opposite the hinges. I took a modern holder and laid it on the Bromide holder to measure how much to trim.

The Bromide holder fits snugly in the back, but works fine. The plates are off set by the 1/4 in back. I marked the edges of the plates in pencil on my ground glass to assure accurate framing.

I enjoy being able to shoot 5 different sizes of wet plates with one holder.

Quote Originally Posted by AF-ULF View Post
    Hi Gene,

I have an 8x10 Bromide holder which I cut down for wet plate work. The style I have has hinges on one side (the 10 inch side) and small clips on the back on the opposite side, which are recessed and don't extend all the way to the edge of the wood . I ran the holder through a table saw and trimmed off about 1/4 inch from the side opposite the hinges. I took a modern holder and laid it on the Bromide holder to measure how much to trim.

The Bromide holder fits snugly in the back, but works fine. The plates are off set by the 1/4 in back. I marked the edges of the plates in pencil on my ground glass to assure accurate framing.

I enjoy being able to shoot 5 different sizes of wet plates with one holder.
    What you are describing is "exactly" like the Bromide holder I have. Did you find that the locating ridge (being further out) hindered the "seating" of the film holder in your camera at all?? Did you polyeurathane varnish your reducing inserts to protect them from the corrosive effects of the wet plate process?

The locating ridge fits my Tachahara 8x10 just fine. I have to take an extra second or two to make sure it is settled, but it hasn't really been a problem. I did not varnish the reducing inserts. I make sure to wipe them carefully after each exposure. So far I haven't noticed any ill effects. But it is probably a good idea.