Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What film, lab, vendors do you recommend for a beginner?

What film, lab, vendors do you recommend for a beginner?

I am just starting in LF and will have my Chamonix 4x5, 210 lens, 90 lens, and lensboards by the weekend.

The next step is to order a film holder, film, loupe, and cable release. I would like to get by with my digital camera for exposure needs rather that spend the money on a spotmeter. I probably need to also ask what loupe and cable release is popular. What other basics did I miss?

I don't necessarily need the lowest price, but I would rather not pay a 10% premium for accessories, film, etc. Service and knowledge is important to me.

What film would you recommend for outside garden shots? If I primarily want the photos on a CD, are there better films for this output? I would like to go the Fuji quickload route because of the simplicity, and I plan to take a small number of photos each month.

What film vendors and labs do you recommend? The ones I am aware of are Badger Graphics, B&H, Adorama, and Photomark. I spoke to Rod at Photomark when I was searching for used cameras and he seemed very knowledgeable.

It would help a lot if I could just observe someone using a LF camera, but there don't seem to be many LF users around Kansas City.

Re: What film, lab, vendors do you recommend for a beginner?

Welcome to the LF family!!
    Add a focus cloth to your shopping list.
    Do you intend to shoot B&W or color?

David Silva
    Modesto,Ca

Color for now.

Can I just use a small light blanket?

I can also get by without instant prints unless it is a good learning tool.

Arista.EDU Ultra 200 from Freestyle Photo.

Like the late Jim Varney said, "Hot, fast and cheap." It is also a very good film.

A 50 sheet box of Arista.EDU Ultra 200 and a handful of holders and Bob's your uncle! 3 used trays for free up to $5/ea. max. and $15-$20 worth of chemicals and you're in business.

BTW, unless you have money to burn, slow down. Patience will reward your wallet.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Quote Originally Posted by venchka View Post
    Arista.EDU Ultra 200 from Freestyle Photo.

Like the late Jim Varney said, "Hot, fast and cheap." It is also a very good film.

A 50 sheet box of Arista.EDU Ultra 200 and a handful of holders and Bob's your uncle! 3 used trays for free up to $5 max. and $15-$20 worth of chemicals and you're in business.

BTW, unless you have money to burn, slow down. Patience will reward your wallet.
    You already lost me.

What is hot fast and cheap?

Who is Bob?

I thought if you get a quickload you don't have to mess with loading, cutting etc.

I have no darkroom or desire to develop my own film. The quantity will be so low that I should not have a high burn rate.

Quote Originally Posted by timberline12k View Post
    You already lost me.

What is hot fast and cheap?

Who is Bob?

I thought if you get a quickload you don't have to mess with loading, cutting etc.

I have no darkroom or desire to develop my own film. The quantity will be so low that I should not have a high burn rate.
    Hot, fast and cheap...he means the film is Good, easy to get and inexpensive. It is black and white film.

Bobs your uncle: Means "As Easy As Pie" or "Quick and Easy"

A quickload holder only works with Fuji films available in quickload format, so you have a limited choice, but all of them are good. Quickload films are considerably more expensive than standard sheet films of the same emulsion.

Standard 4x5 sheet film offers you the most choice, there is no cutting, it comes cut to the correct size for loading in standard 4x5 cut-film holders. Yes, you would have to load and unload the holders in a dark room (or changing bag) but you save a considerable amount of money. I'm sure others can recommend good places to send your film for development. Most people who do black and white process their own film. It isn't hard. Color film is often sent out.

I found Photocraft to be a great lab with reasonable E6 prices.

http://www.photocraftlab.com

Thanks Gene.

Back on topic.

Which would you rather do: Screw up $0.50/sheet film or $10/sheet film? Starting out you will screw up. Granted, QuickLoads might reduce the number of screw ups, but they eliminate screw ups. Start slow. Start cheap. When the screw ups have been reduced to a manageable number, then by all means use the QuickLoads.

Did you read any of the articles on the Large Format home page? Did you read any books on large format photography?
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Since you want to do color, it will run you about $4 a sheet, developing included ($5 if you use Quickloads).

The current color neg films have good exposure latitude, fine grain and scan well.

Fuji Pro 160 or Kodak Portra 160.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...fessional.html

http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/c...t_detail&p=605

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    Hot, fast and cheap...he means the film is Good, easy to get and inexpensive. It is black and white film.

Bobs your uncle: Means "As Easy As Pie" or "Quick and Easy"

A quickload holder only works with Fuji films available in quickload format, so you have a limited choice, but all of them are good. Quickload films are considerably more expensive than standard sheet films of the same emulsion.

Standard 4x5 sheet film offers you the most choice, there is no cutting, it comes cut to the correct size for loading in standard 4x5 cut-film holders. Yes, you would have to load and unload the holders in a dark room (or changing bag) but you save a considerable amount of money. I'm sure others can recommend good places to send your film for development. Most people who do black and white process their own film. It isn't hard. Color film is often sent out.
    That helps.

Can most beginners handle standard 4X5 cut film holders?

I am more interested in simplicity and don't mind adding $1 per photo if it is quickload specific.

I thought Bob was a guy at one of the labs that gave you 3 free used trays if you buy a box of film.

I have not developed black and white since I was in a photography class in high school in the late 70's.