Thread: New Zealand - 3 weeks in wonderland

New Zealand - 3 weeks in wonderland

Hello,

so - we are back from our trip. First of all I would like to thank you for your advices and help. We had a great time and as no serious problems appeared we could really enjoy.

I will post some photos, but this may take few weeks (development, scanning .. )

I took along an Olympus XA, Rolleiflex T and Tachi 4x5 with 4 lenses (75, 125, 240, 400) what was a bit much at times. As this was not a dedicated photography trip (although we both do that kind of stuff) the 4x5 was too slow at time so finally I exposed only 31 sheets. I keem my fingers crossed that they did survive. The Rolleiflex did not really fit my needs there would have preferred something like Fuji GA645 insted for a bit wider lens and non square exposures. The tiny Olympus XA was really everywhere so it hot used a lot.

For the next time I would consider one 35mm (film RF or digi) camera and a MF (645, 6x7 , 6x9 or even some custom 6x12) camera for those "serious" shots - simply to get more of them. Still - I have to admit I have enjoyed using the Tachi as it was quite challenging at times (the Chasm waterfall for example) and when used on more touristic places I got quite some recognition

As we did also a 2 day kayaking trip in Doubtful and ship cruise in Milford sound - I would consider getting a waterproof camera (Nikonos or some digital one) as it was mostly raining and I did not use my cameras there at all (fortunately my wife had a small P&S so we have some nice photos). I we get a chance to visit NZ again we will definitely do kayaking in Tasman Park.

-----------

Non - photographical gear that showed useful was: LED head light, rain jacket, backpack rain cover, repellent , small binocular (Vortex Hurricane 8x32) and a BIG cheap umbrella we bought there for just NZ $18.

-----------

On the photographic gear side a few comments here:
    - the Feisol 3442 Tournament tripod together with the smallest Photo Clam ball head (thank you Kerry) was a really good choice - small, light (cca 1400g together) and sturdy - even when using 400mm lens (tele) with 4x5. The quick release was also very helpful. The optional spikes (cca 3 cm long) really made a difference. The only thing to be improved on the Feisol would be the anti-rotation feature for the leg elements. I had no problems having the tripod in my carry on luggage with the ball head on it.

- The Kelty 2650 backpack from Backpacker - served as a carry on luggage (not fully stuffed) and also for one day trips. It did a good job, although I would go for a bit bigger model if the trip would require more non photographic equipment than just a bit of food, rain jacket and bottle of water - on top of 4x5. My only concern is the inner lining close to the bottom part of the backpack, which , thanks to the shaoe of the bottom part of the suspension is rather exposed to friction and does show some wear - I may glue some stronger material (like thin cordura) there to shield it a bit.
    Overall - a very nice bag for this purpose. Can be made even lighter for the plane travel as the waist belt is removable. The waist itself is rather wide and well made - what really helps if you carry more weight.

- The long lens case from Backpacker - a very useful piece of kit and just a perfect fit for my following lenses: osaka 400/8, Grandagon 75/4.5, and Fujinon 240/9 (or the Fujinon 125/5.6) as I kept either the 240 or the 125 lens folded with the Tachi. The Tachi itself was jut wrapped in a large lens wrap to save some space.

- BTZS dark cloth - small, light and very useful. I was considering it for a long time and got it just before the trip. Much better than just a black T shirt once there is some wind (often in NZ).

- half dark slide - a simple way to shoot two panoramic shots on one 4x5 sheet.

- I did carry a spare ground glass, but did not need it.

- 2 stop ND grad (Cokin) - used for a few shots. Would have used it more if I had more time. It was my first experience so I can not really comment before I see the results

- Polarization filter - especially to improve contrast (suppress the bluish light) in shaded mountain side when sooting close to the sun. Also used together with 8x ND filter for really long exposures on the coast.

- Thick blue large (not the largest) lens wrap from nowoflex - folded to pack and protect 5 film holders - it is so good - I do not consider getting a dedicated film hoder case.

- lot of rubber bands - to keep the film holders securely closed, as the built in hooks often rotate too easily.

- Photoflex tent - got just before the trip. Although it is one of the smaller ones - still rather large and it was just attached to large "check-in" back from outside. Fortunately it did survive the travel. It was rather easy to use, it does add bulk and weight to you luggage - one more reason to look seriously into 6x12 film back or camera option.

-----------

Gear I really missed:
    - A SPOT METER. I will not go to any serious trip with a 4x5 camera without spot meter again. I had my Digisix. It did a good job but often incident mode was not usable and reflected is cca 30 degrees. I did use my wifes SLR here and there, but that was a bit painful (different ISO, etc.). I hope for the best concerning the exposures. The problem also was - I used a DSLR at home as a light meter what works well and you do not need to think so much as with conventional light meter. I should have trained more with Digisix.

- 6x12 roll film back. Would have made my life easier, lighter and faster. And many shots would be well served with 1:2 ratio ("gentle" panoramic) Unfortunately the Tachi does not accpet the "standard" ones and Sinar zooms are expensive and bulky.

-------------------

I do hope to get the chance to visit New Zealand again - anobody around to offer a position for nuclear scientist for a year or two somewhere around Wanaka ?
    Matus

Re: New Zealand - 3 weeks in wonderland

Congrats on a successful trip! Hope the photos are as successful!

Vaughn

thanks for the update. post the photos when you can.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Glad you had a great time here. It'll be great to see your eye on this place when you finally get all your developing/sorting/etc together.

It took me much longer than expected, but one of the reasons is that my exposures were often not, well, the best (quite some underexposures ..) and the PS work converges slowly. A lesson learned for the next time ... (= to expose and filtrate properly)

But here comes my first 4x5 shot from New Zealand, I promise more will be comming over next weeks.

BW conversion of color shot taken on E100G with Osaka 400/8. Will be printed within few days - I am really looking forward.

There is a bigger version too (see link below), I just did not want this forum to explode.

You can find HERE many more of my New Zealand photos, although taken mostly with Olympus XA and Rolleiflex T.
    Matus

Quote Originally Posted by Matus Kalisky View Post
    It took me much longer than expected, but one of the reasons is that my exposures were often not, well, the best (quite some underexposures ..) and the PS work converges slowly. A lesson learned for the next time ... (= to expose and filtrate properly)

But here comes my first 4x5 shot from New Zealand, I promise more will be comming over next weeks.

BW conversion of color shot taken on E100G with Osaka 400/8. Will be printed within few days - I am really looking forward.

There is a bigger version too (see link below), I just did not want this forum to explode.

You can find HERE many more of my New Zealand photos, although taken mostly with Olympus XA and Rolleiflex T.
    Very nice photograph, thanks for posting it and for all the information about your trip. I assume the Osaka is a telphoto since you're able to use it on your Tachi. I owned two Tachias, they're very nice cameras and good value for the money.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

A great set of photos.
    Makes me a little depressed I've never been to the West Coast though.