Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 20X24" Chinese ASA 100 Film

Just waiting to be developed..

Re: 20X24" Chinese ASA 100 Film

I tried to make this happen once with ERA. In the end i gave up (for now anyway).
    I was going to buy a few master rolls and have them converted here. I have a local converter who is very good.
    The film cost wasn't that good, they couldn't guarantee the quality and no guarantee i would actually get the film.
    Shipping was also very expensive and in the end, the cost per sqf was only a little bit less then the other films on the market.

That article is really scary. It makes me think twice about trying to buy the master rolls again.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

Sort of reminds me of Chinese Amidol!

Sometimes cheap is not exactly Cheap!

BD

Zebra

Do you come down from the mountain for food and water or do you have someone bring it up to you? Goodness gracious--anyone shooting 20 x 24 has one foot in the asylum anyway (believe me I probably have the whole Hokey Pokey in the damn place). Taking a small risk/reward chance AS A GROUP, as Sandy is suggesting, is the smallest of risks, money investments you could possibly take in this format. Besides I got taken for much more by an American that many on this site lauded as the next coming. The reward of finding a film that is suitable for alternative printing at a significant discount would be a geniune find. If Sandy who is doing the legwork on this to begin with feels comfortable then that's good enough for me EVEN IF IN THE END IT DOESN'T WORK OUT. If a 25 sheet box goes south on me I promise not to complain though, I mean afterall I've been forwarned.

Monty

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rabe View Post
    After reading the article above anyone who buys this stuff is asking for trouble. So when you get your film and it's half junk don't complain, you were forwarned.

In the desert...

I ll put if I can get a bit bigger back for my camera

Well, as I said, I'm good for about $500.00 + shipping on this one.
    This is not "chump change" for me, but a risk I am willing to take. I expect this deal, if it happens, will work out OK.

Of course, that is a lot of film cut down to Minox size.

Cheers,
    Clarence

There seems to be enough interest in this to make it happen. My colleague who visited the factory in China is returning to the US next week and I plan to meet with him to go over some details. This is not a profit making venture for me -- my goal is simply to purchase a one or two year supply of 20X24" film at a price I can afford so my risk is basically the same as that of anyone else who goes in on the film.

Sandy King

Just to note, I have been using this film in 4x5 for about eight months, and had no problems. For people outside the US, Shanghai is the cheapest 4x5 film you can buy. For people in the US, Freestyle prices are comparable, but their high international shipping costs make Shanghai the much better value outside the US.

I have the specifics on the Chinese 20X24" film for anyone who is interested in making up part of the order. The film will be produced in late August and, if this order goes through, the plans are to have it shipped air freight directly to me from the factory. Current value of the RMB puts total cost to me at $12 per sheet for 500 sheets. Your cost will be $12 per sheet, plus cost shipping to your location. If you are interested please contact me immediately to arrange payment. This is not a business deal for me as I am not making any money on the transaction so I will need payment from you before I finalize the order with Shanghai Film Company. Should there be any problem with your film I will try to help resolve any issues with the film company to resolve but given the circumstances in that I am only a facilitator for this order your risks are the same as mine.

I personally want to keep between 75 and 100 sheets of the order so I need to get committments for about 400 sheets to make this special cut happen. Minimum order is 25 sheets.

This needs to be finalized fairly soon so please let me know as soon as possible if you are interested.

Sandy King

PM sent.

Cheers,
    Clarence

Sandy:

Did you go forward on this order? Or can I still get in on it?

Also, I live in Bangkok, and go to China fairly often. Can you give me any details on the factory, so I can perhaps visit them as well? Perhaps I can help in future dealings with these guys, as well.

- Pat