Thread: Reliable shops

Reliable shops

I'm thinking buying a 11x14 feild camera after I've been working a 8x10 and 4x5 for 6 years. Clayton Classic Camera offers a Deardorff and I sent inquires howev er there has been no responce. Does any has bought something at there ? Other s hops tend to respond soon and give me information. It's expensive so I'd like to buy from reliable shops.

Reliable shops

I have purchased a couple of accessory items from them and had no problem. But I heard a story from another photographer who had purchased a camera from them and had a couple of problems. First, the rating of a particular camera was less than advertised. Secondly, the bellows needed to be replaced. While they did replace the bellows and adjusted the price for the condition, I get concerned because it starts to enter into the "grey" area of a financial transaction. And that area is purely subjective.

Spending the kind of money that a good field 11 x 14 commands, I would find a way to personally inspect the purchase if possible. Otherwise, I would make sure you have a 10 day no questions asked return policy in writing. If Clayton Camera has not returned your calls, do you think that it will be any better after the purchase ?

I personally would go to Plan B. Since 11 x 14 is a very specialized format, be patient. I would check private sales in the classified adds of View Camera or other sources.

Good Luck

Reliable shops

Not sure where you're based, but try calling them during U.S. Midwest business hours. Ask for paul Mayberry. I have purchased my first & second 8 X 10's from them and been quite happy. My second camera from them, a trade, required a new bellows. They reimburssed me when I sent them a copy of the reciept. I have been quite happy with both my transactions with them. In general they seem to favor the lower end of the price scale. However, I would agree with Mr. Kadillak, bide your time and look around! A personal inspection for a $3k U.S. purchase seems in order - make sure there is a reasonable inspection period and no restocking fee. Find out in advance who pays shipping charges.