Page 632 of 655 FirstFirst ... 132532582622630631632633634642 ... LastLast
Results 6,311 to 6,320 of 6544

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    Old badly stored Film?? Try processing a sheet no exposure; should be clear as scotch tape if the film is good; sometimes damage can add to an image. Depends

Yep that safelight looks mighty mighty deep red, just like mine. You can lay pennies on the film periodically, to test it's tolerance exposure to the safelight. Also it's bright enough to see film shadow detail as it is developing. Developing by inspection, I lift a sheet up to examine it by safelight
    Thanks very much for your suggestions (and for sharing your safelight idea). My first inclination is that the film is old (there was one batch where the emulsion peeled off as soon as it got wet). The chap who gave it to me did say that it had been sitting around the storage area for some time. Once I've got the laundry completely light tight I'll cut a sheet in darkness for the tank and then do some safelight tests. If the worst case turns out to be age related I'll be content and will work around it as I do with other expired film.

It looks as if my earlier issues are more the result of unsafe lighting than old film. In my new environment (Laundry) & safelight setup, I cut a sheet in total darkness, loaded one into my Patterson tank and did a safelight test strip on another in 2min increments for 10 mins, loading the tank in total darkness. Developed in Kalogen 1:100 7mins. I can't see any discernible difference between the blanks which are both a giant improvement on my previous efforts (I was using my computer monitor as a lightbox so the left may look a little darker from the angle I photographed).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20221107_003125421E.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	232417

Name:	[SAM] 301022-013E.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	27.6 KB 
ID:	232419 (Scanned using an Epson V850)

Pulled out the 5x7 and some Carestream x-ray film to practice and check exposure with my hot lights. Next week there is a "Roaring 20's" themed event I am attending and I'm going to do some fun portraits of attendees dressed in period style using the Eastman View #2 and Verito 8 3/4." In fact I just checked and according to an online database the Verito was made in 1924, and the Eastman produced through the mid 20's, so very period correct, other than the film!

The test image, of my wife, wide-open and at 1/10:

Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Nice. I am discovering 5x7 myself.

SONY DSC by Nokton48, on Flickr

This is the Fiskar Cutter Jim Galli directed me to. Bought cheaply on Ebay, got four new 45mm blades at the local fabric store. Great cutter! I see why he likes it! Here is my cutting setup, set up for cutting 18x24cm sheets from the huge roll of 24cm Agfa Aviphot. Same emulsion as Rollei 400s, basically. Identical if not the same. Has some slight Infared effect that is very pleasing. I've been shooting this film as Rollei 400s in fresh 70mm, and I like it. Between the Mammo Film, Agfa Aviphot, and Fuji HRU I am all set for cheapo 8x10 size shoots. Something I can do in winter times. I have eight 18x24cm original olde wooden Sinar Film Holders that are perfect for shooting this stuff. If I contact print on 8x10 paper, it makes a nice wide black border that I like.

Of course I have to spin the plastic cylinder of film so it is oriented for easy cutting. I will set up some wooden stops to hold the biggie roll so it doesn't slide around in the dark. That's about it for now

The Fiskar's blade goes into 45 pivot mode so no way to scratch the film. Good design
    Last edited by Daniel Unkefer; 14-Nov-2022 at 07:15.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

I had an issue I posted about a few days ago- black dots on the photos. I eliminated everything and it ended up being the film, probably due to poor storage. I did allow it to get to 80F and could have been too humid.

I’m now trying agfa cp-gu m from cxs. I tried some overcast shots today and it appears to be iso 25 (with d76 1:6 9.5min with hangers)

Here’s a shot from yesterday. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D0D9D0FE-7286-4583-9ED3-2CB02F5B8535.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	232608

I also would like to share that I’m using a rotatrim m24 to cut down 8x10s to 4x5. I have two paper safes. One I fill with the sheets I’ll cut. I start by setting the cutter to 125mm and cut down the half sheets, store them in the other paper safe. Once that’s complete, I turn the lights on, adjust the cutter to 110mm, then go back and cut the rest of the film to size and put in a 4x5 box. I recently got a kodak model d safelight which came with the GBX2 filter. I found it had a 75w(!) bulb but it still doesn’t fog.

Edit: I need to run fog tests.
    Last edited by Edison; 17-Nov-2022 at 19:56.

I've been using a Carl A3 rotary trimmer using magnets as a guide for cutting down paper & film. One magnet is at 4in in the top and another at 5in on the bottom. It's an idea I stumbled on recently but it seems to work.

Name:	IMG_20221118_064758093E.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	232676
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20221118_064758093.jpg  

Very good idea!

I have a roll of magnet tape, I use for ULF

I keep 2 cutters for film cut usage only, in a dust free metal drawer

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Rubud View Post
    I've been using a Carl A3 rotary trimmer using magnets as a guide for cutting down paper & film. One magnet is at 4in in the top and another at 5in on the bottom. It's an idea I stumbled on recently but it seems to work.

Name:	IMG_20221118_064758093E.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	65.4 KB 
ID:	232676
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Pulled out the 5x7 and some Carestream x-ray film to practice and check exposure with my hot lights. Next week there is a "Roaring 20's" themed event I am attending and I'm going to do some fun portraits of attendees dressed in period style using the Eastman View #2 and Verito 8 3/4."
    And...some results! Well, I cheated though. I recently purchased a 200mm and 250mm Imagon set and I put the 200mm in a Copal 3 shutter I have here collecting dust. Works on the 5x7 and soft focus is nice, but noticeably wider than the Verito, which I needed for group shots. I should've switch to the Verito for this image, but my friend wanted to take a photo of my wife and I dressed up for the occasion, so I just used what was on the camera at the time as I had only about a minute to set this up and show her how to trigger the shutter.

Cropped square though - 5x7 Eastman #2, 200mm Imagon, on Carestream x-ray film:

And, a group shot, same 200mm Imagon. Interesting how the light from the background window (which late in the day had become much brighter) wrapped around the foreground faces. I didn't mention this, but I had one hot-light for illumination on these.