Page 579 of 655 FirstFirst ... 79479529569577578579580581589629 ... LastLast
Results 5,781 to 5,790 of 6546

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Can View Post
    Some suggest developing any film in one size up tray, meaning 8X10 is developed in 11x14 tray

Helps eliminate surge

I always use one size up
    I've wondered about that. Thanks for the pointer. I've used drums for the 5x7 I've done so far, but thought about ordering trays for the x-ray to practice for eventual 14x17. I'll get 8x10 trays for the 5x7.

Should I opt for the smooth-bottomed ones? I've read that the grooves in most are scratch-prone.

I use smooth bottom trays with all x-ray film.

I worried about surge marks with the SP-810 and the UM-MA but so far my agitation method seems to have worked. Each agitation, I lift first from a different side of the tray moving in a counter- clockwise pattern. Also each agitation I make sure that I get one side agitation and one front or back agitation. Then again this is for 18x24cm film so it is a bit smaller anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jmdavis View Post
    I worried about surge marks with the SP-810 and the UM-MA but so far my agitation method seems to have worked. Each agitation, I lift first from a different side of the tray moving in a counter- clockwise pattern. Also each agitation I make sure that I get one side agitation and one front or back agitation. Then again this is for 18x24cm film so it is a bit smaller anyway.
    Good to know thanks. I have the 4x5 version of this. I emailed Tim and he said they haven't done extensive testing with 2 sided. I'll probably get this later on maybe next year.

I think this year, I need to save for an Intrepid so I can actually hike or something with my 8x10. You know...lockdown fun.
    --

Agree

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I use smooth bottom trays with all x-ray film.
    Tin Can

Hi Paul,

The driver is from the same seller. I used this one for use with a dimmer: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Dimming-...72.m2749.l2649
    If you don't want a dimmer a different driver is required (not sure why, but a dimmer will not work with a non-dimming driver). I just used a common low wattage in-line dimmer such as you might use with a table lamp. Works perfectly for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kinzer View Post
    Barry: at the LED link, I see they do not include the actual dimmer. Can you tell me what you use? It's great to have a recommendation based on actual use; there are so many choices out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Kirsten View Post
    Hi Paul,

The driver is from the same seller. I used this one for use with a dimmer: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Dimming-...72.m2749.l2649
    If you don't want a dimmer a different driver is required (not sure why, but a dimmer will not work with a non-dimming driver). I just used a common low wattage in-line dimmer such as you might use with a table lamp. Works perfectly for me.
    Great; thanks!

My 8x10 film arrived today, I've ordered the deep red LEDs, the driver, and will get a dimmer at a brick and mortar store.

I think I'm going to go to Goodwill and look for glass casserole dishes to use for the developing trays. We have a 7x10 one here at home that seems ideal. I'm kind of shocked at the cost of the trays sold for photography! Even used ones are unreasonably priced, in my opinion, for what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kinzer View Post
    Great; thanks!

My 8x10 film arrived today, I've ordered the deep red LEDs, the driver, and will get a dimmer at a brick and mortar store.

I think I'm going to go to Goodwill and look for glass casserole dishes to use for the developing trays. We have a 7x10 one here at home that seems ideal. I'm kind of shocked at the cost of the trays sold for photography! Even used ones are unreasonably priced, in my opinion, for what they are.
    Yah, I was thinking about casserole dishes as well. Good thinking. They are heavy though. And what if the wifey decides to make a tuna caserole one day and you need to process?
    --

Plastic storage boxes are both cheaper and less heavy. I use them for practically all my paper and sheet film development when using trays.

Quote Originally Posted by ericantonio View Post
    Yah, I was thinking about casserole dishes as well. Good thinking. They are heavy though. And what if the wifey decides to make a tuna caserole one day and you need to process?
    I found one today at Goodwill, and it is mine: Hand's off 'wifey'!

I considered plastic, but wasn't sure if certain plastics might be chemically problematic. I also thought that glass would stay smooth, while plastic might get scratch-inducing scrapes and gouges after use and storage. But, when I go to the 14x17, I'll look harder at plastic.