Page 523 of 655 FirstFirst ... 23423473513521522523524525533573623 ... LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,230 of 6546

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Really good shadow detail too. Nice example
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

I didn't think THAT was possible. Looks like a orange filter on normal film.

Who made Crontex MRF 21 Plus?
    Back in 2016 I obtained some from a member of this Forum, and it wasn't the Member I had believed it to be.
    I don't have any Private Message traffic to help me. I figure that I owe them some thanks.
    It got me into using X-ray film & it means I am using my Graflex a lot more than I was.

Quote Originally Posted by HoodedOne View Post
    Used the ONDU 8x10 pinhole camera again, after a long time.

LF006 by -HoodedOne-

Fuji HRT x-ray film with Y/G filter. Developed in R09 1+50 for 6 minutes.
    Nice results. I've been using that film in 11x14 for close portraits. I'm a little surprised at your developing time since it took me a while to find something that would give a workable time without being too contrasty (overdeveloped). I settled on my replenished Xtol at 4 1/2 to 5 minutes. Then recently I tried Caffenol since I thought that would be fun for some coffee related portraits I want to do. Those results were so promising that I'm continuing to experiment with that.

I may give the R09 a try since I have some around. What sort of exposure are you getting with your setup.

Thnx Mark

When I started using x-ray film, I read every piece of info I could find about developing x-ray film. The 6 minutes was a good starting point, also for the way In develop my film. For 4x5 and 8x10 I use a Patterson Orbital. And not only do I use very little developer (120 ml), with constant agitation. But also there is very little R09 in it (2.5 - 3 ml). The 6 minutes developing time in combination with the developer and constant agitation turned out pretty good, and I’ve been using it ever since (also for ‘normal’ film).
    You can see the result above. I do some digital post-processing, but nothing crazy. And sometimes I use these negatives for cyanotypes. And those also turn out nice (https://flic.kr/p/UZiujA).
    The image above was shot as e.i. 100 @ f/230. Measured exposure was 21 seconds, the corrected exposure was 39 seconds.

Thnx Mark

When I started using x-ray film, I read every piece of info I could find about developing x-ray film. The 6 minutes was a good starting point, also for the way In develop my film. For 4x5 and 8x10 I use a Patterson Orbital. And not only do I use very little developer (120 ml), with constant agitation. But also there is very little R09 in it (2.5 - 3 ml). The 6 minutes developing time in combination with the developer and constant agitation turned out pretty good, and I’ve been using it ever since (also for ‘normal’ film).
    You can see the result above. I do some digital post-processing, but nothing crazy. And sometimes I use these negatives for cyanotypes. And those also turn out nice (https://flic.kr/p/UZiujA).
    The image above was shot as e.i. 100 @ f/230. Measured exposure was 21 seconds, the corrected exposure was 39 seconds.
    Interesting. Do you think you are getting compensation from exhaustion of the small quantity of developer? Xtol seems to hold the highlights well with decent speed, but Caffenol was even better at that to my surprise. I seem to get noticeably more shadow detail. I'm not saying really more speed since it may just be that I can give more exposure without pushing the highs up too far. The highs seem to go forever, so you could correct the contrast in scanning if you could capture it all, but I'm just contact printing so have to keep it in the ballpark. I'm only shooting x-ray in 11x14, so doing trays and need at least 1 lliter per tray, so your R09 method might not work as well for me, but I will try it at some point. I have some older R09 that has slowed down just a bit that would be dandy for develop by inspection.

I did a few shots on the Fuji HR-T 11x14 yesterday to compare my lens choices for portraits at about life size. I had 3 shots, so setup 3 trays and ran them at the same time. I used Xtol this time since I need to sort out some issues I had when doing this gang processing with Caffenol. These are a contrasty since I didn't want to extend the exposure more and risk loosing one of the comparison. These were about 8 seconds, but Bob can hold pretty still.

11x14 lens comparison. by Yew Piney, on Flickr

Would any users of 4x5 like to obtain some x-ray film?
    It is 10x12cm, so it does not need to be cut down. It is double-sided & apparently somewhat orthochromatic.
    The film is in daylight packets, sandwiched between sheets of lead foil. So... No need to cut it down.
    This is the Foma Indux R4 I have been using. Apparently the UK importer obtained a large quantity for an industrial user & have been left with quite a lot on their hands. I have had 200 sheets (4 boxes) off them.
    They DO NOT want to send the stuff for silver recovery and they have consented to me publicising it on this forum.
    I am awaiting whether they would post internationally or not as well as contact details.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Crabtree View Post
    Interesting. Do you think you are getting compensation from exhaustion of the small quantity of developer?
    Hi Mark,
    Your guess is as good as mine.
    Most of the time I do these things on intuition, based on things I read. If I blow it, I’ll try something else next time. But as long as I’m happy with the results. I don’t care if people tell me I’m doing something wrong.
    The process I use now, works for me. It might not work for you, or anybody else. But it shows that you can still get good results without using the Massive Dev App

Hi Mark,
    Your guess is as good as mine.
    Most of the time I do these things on intuition, based on things I read. If I blow it, I’ll try something else next time. But as long as I’m happy with the results. I don’t care if people tell me I’m doing something wrong.
    The process I use now, works for me. It might not work for you, or anybody else. But it shows that you can still get good results without using the Massive Dev App
    If it works, why change. I use the same amount in 375ml of water and either stand develop for 45 mins, or rotary for ten minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Purling View Post
    Would any users of 4x5 like to obtain some x-ray film?
    It is 10x12cm, so it does not need to be cut down. It is double-sided & apparently somewhat orthochromatic.
    I’d be interested if they can ship to the US.

Quote Originally Posted by j.e.simmons View Post
    I’d be interested if they can ship to the US.
    I regret the seller of the material has indicated UK only.

If anyone from the UK wants any of this film they have indicated a minimum purchase of 2 boxes (100 sheets).
    Interested persons ought to contact : info@HexagonLimited.com. State that this is about the the 10x12cm Foma Indux R4 in daylight packets.
    They have stated that they have 60 boxes of the stuff. Be advised that this material is expired. It has probably been properly stored, but they just want you to know it isn't fresh material. I don't have a box with the batch code or expiry date.
    It is worth having some fun with.