Page 32 of 655 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132532 ... LastLast

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: X-ray Film example and comparison.

CSX online.com. Just google them. You can use their csx brand. I buy their green sensitive and shoot it at ISO 80.

Maybe i'm just missing something, but when I google them I get only Acura csx results. When I google csx xray film all I get is threads here and on APUG. Any help?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    CSX online.com. Just google them. You can use their csx brand. I buy their green sensitive and shoot it at ISO 80.

Quote Originally Posted by deadpan View Post
    Maybe i'm just missing something, but when I google them I get only Acura csx results. When I google csx xray film all I get is threads here and on APUG. Any help?
    Yeah it took me a little googling, my first attempt yielded lots of results for rail freight.

http://www.cxsonline.com/text/subcat...&location=1001

Think Jim just wants us to work a little.

Roger

Thanks,

as soon as I arrived at the site, I remembered I had already stumbled upon it a while ago...and then subsequently ruled it out, as i'm based in the UK

"Most items ship out of Omaha, Nebraska, USA.
    We only ship to the US and Canada."

Quote Originally Posted by rtbadman View Post
    Yeah it took me a little googling, my first attempt yielded lots of results for rail freight.

http://www.cxsonline.com/text/subcat...&location=1001

Think Jim just wants us to work a little.

Roger

http://www.kellysearch.co.uk/i/instr...ion/x-ray-film

A number of x-ray film distributors in UK, even listed by region. Just ignore the little survey and scroll towards the bottom of the page.
    RW

I'm going to have to order some 11X14, I'm working each day on my 11X14 View camera even though I don't have a regular holder, only two glass plate holders which have the same outside dimensions. I'm going to have to make regular film holders.

The camera is going to be made using the hardware, where appropriate, from a Kodak 2D model. It's not my last 11X14, I plan on making a true flat bed design, but in the mean time I'm getting this done. I've got the back frame, bases, front uprights made and the rest won't present any problems. I have the bellows material from Porters, they don't carry it now, I'm making a bellows for it. I have the gg and springs so it's an assembly project. Since there isn't a rack and pinion to be made it save a lot of time.

When I make a publicly presentable model out of fine hard wood and hand made hardware with a bellows from Camera Bellows UK, I'll show pictures. I'm making a 5X7 and an 11X14 after this one is done. I got luck and have springs, glass, and a Canham new bellows for the 5X7. It's going to be a "Wista" type clam shell, flatbed model made of some 30 year old Honduras Mahogany I have in two nice planks.

I'll have to start practicing with the X-Ray film I got from CS in 8X10 while I finish the 11X14. I'm planing to use my RD Artar 19", I have two of them, one in a shutter and one in a barrel. I have a 14" Kodak Commercial Ektar in a shutter too that would work, I have others but haven't decided or checked to see which might work. Jim beat me out of a nice lens on eBay a while back, I was distracted away and he got it for next to nothing. It's a good thing, I didn't know that he was bidding and to bid hard on something with someone you know and like would be really bad. I hope that lens works out for you Jim, I forgot to ask if you have used it yet.

It's so cold in the shop right now that I figure out what step is next, plan it out and go and do it then get out of there. It's amazing how cold a table saw or shaper top can get. Also I bring the wood in at night so the moisture content doesn't change radically. That's woodworking, the first camera I made was in an apartment. It is a cherry and brass "Wista" type 4X5. The bellows is still light tight after decades of disuse. The first one is the most difficult, but now I have a shop so it's easier to work, except in the cold when I'm too lazy to fire up the pellet stove.

Jim, that BIG camera turned out very, very nice, what a joy to look at and use. I can't make it to Joshua Tree unfortunately but someday I'll see it in person I hope. You never know what will happen.

Curt

I am amazed that this little old thread I started years ago is still going strong.

http://www.asomerville.ltd.uk/xray-film_1.html

shipping 7 pounds in the mainland u.k

Yup. It's all your fault Gene! Thanks for starting this thread and getting me as well as others hooked on xray film.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    Yup. It's all your fault Gene! Thanks for starting this thread and getting me as well as others hooked on xray film.
    My pleasure, and its about time I get fired up with it again. I have found that "some" X-ray film sizes are not "exactly" like comparable sheet film sizes, hence can be a tight fit into traditional sheet film holders. 7x17 comes to mind. It is cut a wee bit bigger and tends to buckle in the holder. Very frustrating, since it needs to be shaved down, and any excessive handling can bring scratches.