Page 309 of 655 FirstFirst ... 209259299307308309310311319359409 ... LastLast
Results 3,081 to 3,090 of 6546

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: X-ray Film example and comparison.

Woops forgot to add, the same technique with the second negative also works well in developing trays, I use glass plate in the bottom of the developing tray so the film cant scratch against the imperfections in the tray, and have another negative in the other trays. I just turn my developing negative over a few times so that both sides get equal amounts of chemical
    Cheers

Re: Images shot on X-ray film

From the first few post then skipping to the last few post the knowledge of working with the xray film has grown. Based on that if you were going to try xray film for the first time in a 4x5 what film would you try?
    Generalizations are made because they are Generally true...

Images shot on X-ray film

Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    From the first few post then skipping to the last few post the knowledge of working with the xray film has grown. Based on that if you were going to try xray film for the first time in a 4x5 what film would you try?
    Do you mean cutting it down yourself? They don't make 4x5 X-Ray film, there are companies that cut it down for you at a premium of course. But then you're limited in what they cut.

I always say 8x0 Ektascan (carestream) because it's single sided.

With all the recent 4x10 work being posted by Chris Barrett, I caught the 4x10 bug again. I dusted off my 4x10 reducing back, cut down some Xray film and took the Shen Hao out yesterday to my favorite place.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img052-400iso-yf8b.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	125128
    Shot on Fuji HRT Green Xray film

Name:	img054-400iso-yf8b.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	125129
    Shot on Agfa Ortho Green Xray film
    Both images were shot at iso 400 with the Fuji 210 mm f5.6 lens at f32 with a No 8 yellow filter.
    Developed with Rodinal 1:100 in the Jobo system.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Do you mean cutting it down yourself? They don't make 4x5 X-Ray film, there are companies that cut it down for you at a premium of course. But then you're limited in what they cut.

I always say 8x0 Ektascan (carestream) because it's single sided.
    I agree with your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by ndg View Post
    With all the recent 4x10 work being posted by Chris Barrett, I caught the 4x10 bug again. I dusted off my 4x10 reducing back, cut down some Xray film and took the Shen Hao out yesterday to my favorite place.

Name:	img052-400iso-yf8b.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	20.2 KB 
ID:	125128
    Shot on Fuji HRT Green Xray film

Name:	img054-400iso-yf8b.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	125129
    Shot on Agfa Ortho Green Xray film
    Both images were shot at iso 400 with the Fuji 210 mm f5.6 lens at f32 with a No 8 yellow filter.
    Developed with Rodinal 1:100 in the Jobo system.
    Terrific images!

I have been following this thread since its inception, and I am currently using Ektascan but have a need to move to a double sided film and cut it down for larger unusual sizes. Several entries have indicated cutting down film, a task at which I have rarely been successful, but none have described their method.
    I need some ideas of methods used by those who are regularly successful with this task.
    Do you use a jig?
    Is a razor knife superior to a rolling cutter?
    What is your method of holding them film steady?
    Thanks for you ideas.
    Jim

I use a rolling cutter. For most sizes the film holder needs film a little less than 1mm smaller than the nominal size. I'd recommend taking one piece and by trial and error figure out what exact sizes you want to cut, the first time.

I use a lots-of-plastic Fiskars disk cutter that cost me something like $20 at Office Depot. More $$$ now, apparently:
    http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-Classi...dp/B000YAJHVE/

Word: I have never trusted the ability of any paper cutter I've used to make a square cut. When it's been important, I have set up a fence of tape at the right distance from the blade, and use that to brace the opposite end from the one I'm cutting, at the correct distance. Most paper cutters are a bit casual about making their side fences 90-degrees to the cutter.

I make a stack of about five pieces of 5" long masking tape, and lay that on the cutter's board as a fence, starting with cutting 8x10 into 5x8. So, first I put the fence at 5" minus about .6mm. I don't like handling the film a lot, so I cut a pile of about 5 sheets, in multiple passes, both holding down the holder on the cutter, and with my hand flat on the stack so it doesn't move. Then I take the pieces I cut off, and trim them from 5"+ to 5"-, again as a stack in multiple passes.

I store it that way, as 5x8. If I need 5x7, I cut to 7"-- using the tape fence-- in a pile as before. If I need 4x5, I cut the stacks of 5x8 as I made the initial cuts--once cut of 4"-, then taking the off cuts and cut the little strip off of them.

It sounds complex, but it really isn't. I make a pile of 5x8 when I feel like it, then cut it down later to what I really need at that moment.

Two things: I've never gotten scratches from cutting and handling. When it's dry, it's just as tough as regular film, so if you don't scratch Tri-X you won't scratch x-ray. Second, I am lucky in that I don't have oily hands, nor do I have acidic skin, so I don't leave any prints on film (that was handy when I was printing in commercial labs! :-) If you have oil or acid, you may have to wear cotton gloves or something.
    Last edited by mdarnton; 16-Nov-2014 at 12:42.
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

I use a dedicated Dahle 18E that I use ONLY for cutting film. I gaff tape a production stop to the bed. I make sure everything is dust free and my hands are not oily, I don't use gloves. I keep a paper safe nearby and as I cut I put film in it, until I change to the second cut. I cut down 11x14 CSG and Ektascan. I cut many sizes and have very little scrap.

The Dalhe has a soft rubber gripper to hold your film in place. I don't use the supplied plastic stop.

I plan to buy a second smaller one for the second cut.

See video here.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    I have been following this thread since its inception, and I am currently using Ektascan but have a need to move to a double sided film and cut it down for larger unusual sizes. Several entries have indicated cutting down film, a task at which I have rarely been successful, but none have described their method.
    I need some ideas of methods used by those who are regularly successful with this task.
    Do you use a jig?
    Is a razor knife superior to a rolling cutter?
    What is your method of holding them film steady?
    Thanks for you ideas.
    Jim
    Jim, i use a Rotatrim. I use it to cut down sheets all the way up to14" x 36". Works rather well.