Page 3 of 654 FirstFirst 123451353103503 ... LastLast

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Re: X-ray Film example and comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    Here is another example of Blue Sensitive X-ray film (from CXS online) developed in X-tol for about 4 minutes.
    Gene, that is a very nice shot. What color is the Cadillac? Curious to know how the film handles different tones. Does anyone know what the affect filters has on these films? I mean the standard ones like yellow, orange, green and red? It would be nice to try this stuff in 11x14. I have hangers for my 11x14 film so development could be in tanks.

Jim

I didn't mean to forget to thank Jason too, but I did, sorry

Here's a site with prices, for your enjoyment
    http://www.ndtmart.com/default.php

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    I priced the mamography film a few months back and it didn't seem that much cheaper than "regular" B&W film. Am I missing something? I will look into the industrial film however, thanks.
    I've purchased in date or slightly out of date Kodak Min-R Mammography film off ebay for $25 per box of 100 sheets in 18x24cm size. I think I bought 5 boxes at one time at that price. Also bought Agfa a few years ago for about the same price. Keep your eyes open you'll eventually find some. Also call your local diagnostic center and hospital to see if they have any they are tossing out or will sell cheap. Almost all mammography centers are digital now.

I actually use very little of the mamo film now for my x-ray work and more often use HP-5 due to finer grain and better definition in extreme enlargements. I do x-rays of flowers (www.x-rayarts.com) and enlarge small images to 24x36 inches so high res and fine grain are important. The mamo film works very well for objects like shells and found objects.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    Gene, that is a very nice shot. What color is the Cadillac? Curious to know how the film handles different tones. Does anyone know what the affect filters has on these films? I mean the standard ones like yellow, orange, green and red? It would be nice to try this stuff in 11x14. I have hangers for my 11x14 film so development could be in tanks.

Jim
    Jim, the CHRYSLER was originally black, but it has oxidized as it sits in my side yard. I wouldn't think a film that is only sensitive to the blue end of the visible spectrum would be a good choice for use with filters. A yellow or Red filter would just about filter out all the light the film is sensitive to.

I just looked at ebay (no connection to seller) and found a few mamo films and an example of industrial film. 220400581656 Larger can often be found. Industrial is a little different than medical film. It's single sided generally and has no particular color sensitivity. Medical film is either green or blue sensitive because it's sandwiched between one (mamo film) or two screens (medical general purpose film) fluorescent screens that makes the actual exposure on the film. The screen fluoresces when struck by x-rays.Exposure to radiation is much less with this system as opposed to a straight exposure with x-rays only. The downside is the resolution is less than without the screens. In industrial work resolution is more important than speed and exposing the subject to x-rays is not a factor generally. Also in mammography resolution is critical so single coated film is used and a single high res screen to reduce x-ray exposure to the patient.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I have hangers for my 11x14 film so development could be in tanks.

Jim

Sigh!! I wish I had 11x14 film hangers. I could work up some tanks if I only had the hangers.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gene McCluney View Post
    Sigh!! I wish I had 11x14 film hangers. I could work up some tanks if I only had the hangers.
    Gene, sorry about the car! I need to look more closely next time. I'll try to find a way to photograph my 11x14 hangers. They are made out of plexi. I don't know if they will work with x-ray film but eventually I'll try. Imagine the Kodak hangers but they have a dimpled back piece of plexi sheet and small screws that hold the film off of the sheet. Like I said I don't know if I'll be able to get enough developer behind the sheet. i think so but I'll know when I test it out. Worst case would be to develop one at an time. i already do that with my 11x14 and develop by inspection.

Jim

I thought that this might be useful information for people considering using x-ray film - - it is from a textbook on medical radiation physics.

The attached graph shows 3 lines on it:
    1. the normal eye's sensitivity to the spectrum
    2. the emission frequency of a blue x-ray screen
    3. the frequency response of blue sensitive x-ray film

I actually suspect that the cut-off of x-ray film sensitivity in the green range is not as absolutely sharp as it might appear here, given some of the negatives I have taken, but it is probably is close.

11x14 film hangers for xrays:
    Stainless, perhaps the clips punch holes in the film ? $42
    Plastic $14, not in 11x14, but 14x17 vert, so a hack could make it into 11x14, probly and "No holes punched in film"