Page 243 of 655 FirstFirst ... 143193233241242243244245253293343 ... LastLast
Results 2,421 to 2,430 of 6544

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: Images shot on X-ray film

I should add that you should take your fotos all at the same time of day to start with. The reason for this is that orthochromatic film is blind to red light. So the speed rating changes during the day, being slowest at early morning and late afternoon. So fix one problem at a time. That's why I reccomend shooting at the same time of day at first. In the old days, they never put a film speed on the box because of this change of speeds depending on the time of day. Try a couple of more sheets, and if you have any questions, we will be more than happy to help you.

Thank you very much premortho!
    The main key what help me to reaching better results is that: after development the x-ray negative is have to look like an ordinary negative! That was my first mistake: I did over developed the negatives as I see. :/ Anyway caused a bit of confusion to me the fact: my x-ray film is double coated. I thought it has to be darker then normal by this couse. Thank you to herded me in the right direction! It's helped me a lot!
    Instinctively I never touched the negative in the tray, I only rock the tray a bit two different directions during the developing as I used to develop the ordinary negatives to keep the developer in countinous moving. My negatives anyway usually don't scratching in develop, but in the wahsing period when the emulsion alredy too soft... So if the negative is too scrathced I just peel the non exposed side by Clorox. It's help a bit.
    Unfortunatelly the safe light doesn't help me too much in the darkroom - I don't like too much in red... :P But I try to get experience what is mean to me exactly the expression: the negative looks "a bit" too dark
    So... the key in first: right exposing and don't over developing!

Okay. Here are two files:

1. A scan of the neg as a color positive. As-is.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raw-film-result.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	108797

2. What the picture looks like after some cropping and not-a-lot of PS level setting.

Name:	Kodak-1.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	108796

Lens: Kodak 305 portrait
    FILM: ordinary CSX green film.
    ISO: 200
    Metering: incident meter setting, held next to the doll face
    Developer: d23 (stoeckler) 2-bath: bath 1: 5mg metol, 100mg sodium sulfite - bath 2: 10mg borax. One liter each.
    Bath 1: 2 min. Bath 2: 5 minutes.
    No Stripping.

After bath 1, the very-highs are just starting to appear. Bath 2 brings the highs up a little more, but really works on the shadows.
    The result is a neg that is usable for easy scanning -- the density is such that the highs aren't screaming, and that's without stripping. I havn't tried it yet, but I imagine it'll do well at grade 1 or 2 as well.

I've played with other developers such as d76 and dektol and this 2-bath method is the best I've found so far.
    Good news is that the chemicals -- metol and sodium sulfite -- are cheap and very available in bulk. And Borax is normal 20-mule-team.

George

Quote Originally Posted by gbogatko View Post
    Okay. Here are two files:

1. A scan of the neg as a color positive. As-is.

Name:	raw-film-result.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	56.1 KB 
ID:	108797

2. What the picture looks like after some cropping and not-a-lot of PS level setting.

Name:	Kodak-1.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	108796

George
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lipi View Post
    So... the key in first: right exposing and don't over developing!
    IMHO it takes a lot to actually overdelop properly exposed film, unless you got insanely aggressive developer.
    I left film, both xray and regular in rotating development for hour/two without getting any ill effects with Rodinal, EFG , 110HC (different dillutions).
    Only iffy one i didnt like was Pyro HD.

But then i am no expert of course ,nor do i use zone system.

Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    IMHO it takes a lot to actually overdelop properly exposed film, unless you got insanely aggressive developer.
    I left film, both xray and regular in rotating development for hour/two without getting any ill effects with Rodinal, EFG , 110HC (different dillutions).
    Only iffy one i didnt like was Pyro HD.

But then i am no expert of course ,nor do i use zone system.
    Sergei! I just wondered about your photos! I did read your test with Rodinal vs Pyrocat and it's convinced me.
    There was a big mistake by me when I did my own developing tests: I forget the fact that the 1:100 diluted Rodinal is tired after 2-3 sheets of film I t was a very deer error, it's coused a lot of false come-off about my kind of x-ray film ISO's for example. It seems I was too excited. I have to get slower.

Unfortunatelly I don't have enough spare time to photography, but I revisited my whole process from the photo taking to the developing methods/times and I just starting the whole from the beginning so no more experimentation by my own head, just doing what you're did and then refine the developing times/ISO rates! Consequently!!!!!!!! It's may would be easier if I could have same kind of films then youre, but as soon I'll get by my friend in USA. (In my country could not get "CXS" films)

So thank you Sergei, premortho for your advices and gbogatko for the raw scan! It's helped me a lot!

ps.: I guess I will take a try with the gbogatko's 2 tray developing process too if I could get the chemicals (it's hard in Hungary)... But first with Rodinal...

You see how his negative of the dolls looked? That is what you should shoot for. What I meant about developing a little darker than what looks right in the tray is just let it develop in the tray a little longer than you think of as "perfect". That's so it doesn't get lighter than "perfect" in the hypo. The more you develop under a red safelight (which you said you already tested), the easier the whole process will be for you. Don't turn on any whit light until the negative has been in the hypo for at least half the time it takes to completely fix it. Hopefully this will help you get along. If you don't have time to go out to photograph, try doing still lifes in your home. If the only time you have is in the evening, do your still life work under lights. If all you have is white lights, try two more steps of exposure, because "white" incandescent bulbs emit a lot of red light, which you will remember the film is blind to.
    Quote Originally Posted by lipi View Post
    Sergei! I just wondered about your photos! I did read your test with Rodinal vs Pyrocat and it's convinced me.
    There was a big mistake by me when I did my own developing tests: I forget the fact that the 1:100 diluted Rodinal is tired after 2-3 sheets of film I t was a very deer error, it's coused a lot of false come-off about my kind of x-ray film ISO's for example. It seems I was too excited. I have to get slower.

Unfortunatelly I don't have enough spare time to photography, but I revisited my whole process from the photo taking to the developing methods/times and I just starting the whole from the beginning so no more experimentation by my own head, just doing what you're did and then refine the developing times/ISO rates! Consequently!!!!!!!! It's may would be easier if I could have same kind of films then youre, but as soon I'll get by my friend in USA. (In my country could not get "CXS" films)

So thank you Sergei, premortho for your advices and gbogatko for the raw scan! It's helped me a lot!

ps.: I guess I will take a try with the gbogatko's 2 tray developing process too if I could get the chemicals (it's hard in Hungary)... But first with Rodinal...

Ok, finally got an x-ray film image that makes me happy.

12Dagor_Xray_f6.8_012014_WM by ScottPhoto.co, on Flickr

12" Dagor + Deardorff V8 + Kodak Mammography Film
    7 minutes at 68 degrees. Rodinal. Trays.

It makes me happy, too; beautiful!

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Tim, great. Congratulations! What dilution for the Rodinal?