Page 205 of 633 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207215255305 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,050 of 6326

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

  1. #2041
    LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Vancouver Washington
    Posts
    3,880

    Re: Images shot on X-ray film

    I use a 24" Artar as a standard lens on my 14x17. Just got the Cooke APO Process lens that is 30". I have many soft lenses for portraits for this format as well. Sergei, sorry about getting the last bid in on the Cooke. Your work is wonderful!

  2. #2042
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    19,782

    Re: Images shot on X-ray film

    I do have a 30" Artar in barrel, I really want a shutter with sync.

    Without spending more money, my budget is beyond blown.



    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I use a 24" Artar as a standard lens on my 14x17. Just got the Cooke APO Process lens that is 30". I have many soft lenses for portraits for this format as well. Sergei, sorry about getting the last bid in on the Cooke. Your work is wonderful!
    Tin Can

  3. #2043
    Lee Smathers
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Daegu, South Korea
    Posts
    371

    Re: Images shot on X-ray film

    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    my budget is beyond blown.
    Same, that's why I passed on some of the great auctions that went today...

  4. #2044
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    19,782

    Re: Images shot on X-ray film

    Ya there were some deals, I had to sit on my hands.

    It's actually better when I'm camera poor, it stops the madness, for a little while...


    Quote Originally Posted by photoevangelist View Post
    Same, that's why I passed on some of the great auctions that went today...
    Tin Can

  5. #2045

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dallas/Novosibirsk
    Posts
    2,205

    Re: Images shot on X-ray film

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I use a 24" Artar as a standard lens on my 14x17. Just got the Cooke APO Process lens that is 30". I have many soft lenses for portraits for this format as well. Sergei, sorry about getting the last bid in on the Cooke. Your work is wonderful!
    no worries.. Funny enough - i got plenty of decent lenses that apparently would cover 14x17 format for head/shoulders portrait - well.. plenty being operative word. Found it while trying to figure out how much bellows i really would have to get Its a lovely task of "hold this mannequin head in hand, project image on white board, then measure distance".

    Just like you - i am trying to get lens that would give me sharp look, without meniscus fuzziness - those are easy to get. I guess i might end up just building something from tubes and separate lenses. But we shall see.

    For now i am just trying to be patient and wait for rest of my 20x24 to arrive here, so i can start figuring out focusing rails for this thing got my Packard shutter to mount behind lens, so i am nearly set on front part

    --

    Randy - if you looking for cheapo solutions to add - you can find yourself 18" Beseler E.F lens.. wont have aperture, but it will give you 3.8 lens for like 20-70$. However i cant truly vouch for its sharpness - i never finished mounting it to check on film. You also can keep troddling net for packard shutters with sync. In all honesty, when i am shooting in studio i am very often using just flash and open/close counts (i.e i count, then open shutter, fire flash by hand, close shutter - be it Packard or Betax), and it never been a problem.

  6. #2046

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    469

    Re: Images shot on X-ray film

    Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    no worries.. Funny enough - i got plenty of decent lenses that apparently would cover 14x17 format for head/shoulders portrait - well.. plenty being operative word. Found it while trying to figure out how much bellows i really would have to get Its a lovely task of "hold this mannequin head in hand, project image on white board, then measure distance".

    Just like you - i am trying to get lens that would give me sharp look, without meniscus fuzziness - those are easy to get. I guess i might end up just building something from tubes and separate lenses. But we shall see.

    For now i am just trying to be patient and wait for rest of my 20x24 to arrive here, so i can start figuring out focusing rails for this thing got my Packard shutter to mount behind lens, so i am nearly set on front part

    --

    Randy - if you looking for cheapo solutions to add - you can find yourself 18" Beseler E.F lens.. wont have aperture, but it will give you 3.8 lens for like 20-70$. However i cant truly vouch for its sharpness - i never finished mounting it to check on film. I was going to suggest this. I've used open flash for years with no problems, also had a Packard shutter with synch, and it worked well also. I normally use hot lights in a studio environment, but use flash for portraits - - - easier on the sitter. You also can keep troddling net for packard shutters with sync. In all honesty, when i am shooting in studio i am very often using just flash and open/close counts (i.e i count, then open shutter, fire flash by hand, close shutter - be it Packard or Betax), and it never been a problem.

  7. #2047

    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    469

    Re: Images shot on X-ray film

    Oops, should have been a "+" from me on that, especially the last six lines. My Packard with sync worked fine for me. I use flash bulbs mainly, as I don't care for the "frozen" look all that much.

  8. #2048
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    19,782

    Re: Images shot on X-ray film

    Yes, definitely going sharp not soft. I am a contrarian.

    None of my Packards have sync, and I have done lens cap and hand flash, really works well. My biggest Packard is buried inside my 8X10 Studio Ansco and it's staying there.

    Today I'll make a lens board adaptor so I can use my modern lenses easier.

    Still fumigating on the 14x17 back extension. most likely a swing away GG and ....?

    With a lens board adapter I will be able to try all my lenses. And with the 8x10 reduction back, I can test easier.

    Flash bulbs do sound good, and some more just showed up.

    Thanks everyone.


    Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    no worries.. Funny enough - i got plenty of decent lenses that apparently would cover 14x17 format for head/shoulders portrait - well.. plenty being operative word. Found it while trying to figure out how much bellows i really would have to get Its a lovely task of "hold this mannequin head in hand, project image on white board, then measure distance".

    Just like you - i am trying to get lens that would give me sharp look, without meniscus fuzziness - those are easy to get. I guess i might end up just building something from tubes and separate lenses. But we shall see.

    For now i am just trying to be patient and wait for rest of my 20x24 to arrive here, so i can start figuring out focusing rails for this thing got my Packard shutter to mount behind lens, so i am nearly set on front part

    --

    Randy - if you looking for cheapo solutions to add - you can find yourself 18" Beseler E.F lens.. wont have aperture, but it will give you 3.8 lens for like 20-70$. However i cant truly vouch for its sharpness - i never finished mounting it to check on film. You also can keep troddling net for packard shutters with sync. In all honesty, when i am shooting in studio i am very often using just flash and open/close counts (i.e i count, then open shutter, fire flash by hand, close shutter - be it Packard or Betax), and it never been a problem.
    Tin Can

  9. #2049

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dallas/Novosibirsk
    Posts
    2,205

    Re: Images shot on X-ray film

    Randy - you can actually make sync yourself . All you need is wee tripper from radioshack that can be pressed by packard's piston at certain moment. Glue it on, run bit of wire and you got yourself synched shutter I have similar contraption made on one of my packards by previous owner

    My main problems right now is how to get "fine focus" for rear standard - where to get rods and hardware. I dont like to rely on complete friction focusing - its just not super handy. Also i would love to find good material for one of shutter leafs on me ilexpo. Thin plastic i thought that would work - doesnt.. its like hair thicker so its getting stuck once shutter assembles back. Tried to spot on mac master, but its just so much stuff there that i am loosing will to live

  10. #2050
    Tin Can's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    19,782

    Re: Images shot on X-ray film

    Sergei, now I remember, I forget a lot, put a microswitch on it. Bingo!

    My camera has rear rack and pinion, and front screw focus with a rear crank. It's a really nice 11x14 Process camera, simply gorgeous wood and huge square leather bellows. I got lucky, I saved t from becoming a coffee table!

    I have pics in DIY.

    Thanks!

    Quote Originally Posted by SergeiR View Post
    Randy - you can actually make sync yourself . All you need is wee tripper from radioshack that can be pressed by packard's piston at certain moment. Glue it on, run bit of wire and you got yourself synched shutter I have similar contraption made on one of my packards by previous owner

    My main problems right now is how to get "fine focus" for rear standard - where to get rods and hardware. I dont like to rely on complete friction focusing - its just not super handy. Also i would love to find good material for one of shutter leafs on me ilexpo. Thin plastic i thought that would work - doesnt.. its like hair thicker so its getting stuck once shutter assembles back. Tried to spot on mac master, but its just so much stuff there that i am loosing will to live
    Tin Can

Similar Threads

  1. Technical Pan Film
    By Jehu in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 22-Apr-2016, 18:42
  2. Images, not technical discussions.
    By rdenney in forum Image Sharing (Everything Else) & Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23-Jul-2015, 14:16
  3. Replies: 91
    Last Post: 23-Jul-2015, 12:01
  4. T Max 400 Technical Discussion by Sandy King
    By Michael Kadillak in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 7-Feb-2006, 06:08
  5. Discussion: Pyro stain, silver rich film & thick emulsion
    By Pete Caluori in forum Darkroom: Film, Processing & Printing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 22-Nov-2003, 04:39

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •