Page 2 of 655 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: Use of X-ray film: technical discussion with example images

Re: X-ray Film example and comparison.

I have used up my first pack of blue sensitive 8x10 x-ray film (CXS Online high speed blue). I cut it down to 4x5, rated it at 100 and developed it in Diafine diluted 1:1 in a rotary processor. The diluted Diafine and rotary processing really makes it quite usable, contrast-wise. I have 2 images posted over in the APUG gallery if you want to see how they look in Diafine. I have printed and scanned them and it reminds me a lot of Tri-X, except a lot slower.

It does scratch easily when wet, but once dry, the emulsion is quite hard. I spent 8 years as an x-ray technician in a large veterinary hospital and the utensil of choice by people reading x-rays seemed to be ballpoint pens - - they would crease the film base but the emulsion stayed put.
    Last edited by wclavey; 21-Apr-2009 at 20:47. Reason: bad spelling, additional info

Anyone tried developing in a Jobo? I'm interested in trying some in 8x10 and/or 5x12 but do all of my processing right now via Jobo with Pyrocat HD. I could order some Rodinal though ...

Quote Originally Posted by jbannow View Post
    Anyone tried developing in a Jobo? I'm interested in trying some in 8x10 and/or 5x12 but do all of my processing right now via Jobo with Pyrocat HD. I could order some Rodinal though ...
    X-ray film has identical emulsion on both sides of film base. You really need to develop in a tray, or film hangers in a tank, so the developer can work evenly on both sides of the film, otherwise you may get streaks or mottling.

I think you can get acceptable pictorial results with any film developer, but it will be trial and error until you work out your exposure and development times to your satisfaction.

Wouldn't x-ray film and a 2509 reel be ok? The film is evenly bathed on both sides by delevoper. I've seen Westley's negatives from a Jobo reel & tank and they are fine. Two posts back ^.
    Wayne
    Deep in the darkest heart of the North Carolina rainforest.

Wayne's Blog

FlickrMyBookFaceTwitSpacei

Yes, the reels would be just fine, but the Jobo expert, or print drums, or BTZS tubes won't work well.

The KEY is having equal developer and fixer access to both sides of the film. Any way you want to develop that allows for full and free access to both sides of the film would work. My experience with drums is old. I think of the print drums I used years ago for color prints, and the paper basically touched the inside of the drum on the back side, and chemistry only had free access on the image side. This will not work for X-ray film.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Dudenbostel View Post
    I would suggest trying mamography film. It comes in odd sizes but its single coated on one side and fairly durable. I use it in special xray applications and find kodak and agfa to be finer grain than traditional double coated film. I need more contrast in what I do and run it in D19 1:1 and have used HC110 1:31 with good results. You also might try industrial fray film. I think most are single coated and come in sizes that might work well for pano cameras.
    I priced the mamography film a few months back and it didn't seem that much cheaper than "regular" B&W film. Am I missing something? I will look into the industrial film however, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Greenberg Motamedi View Post
    I priced the mamography film a few months back and it didn't seem that much cheaper than "regular" B&W film. Am I missing something? I will look into the industrial film however, thanks.
    Right, the mammography film is more costly than common x-ray film. I haven't found a source for industrial X-ray film, would appreciate any links or leads.

Here is another example of Blue Sensitive X-ray film (from CXS online) developed in X-tol for about 4 minutes.

Industrial NDT [non-destructive testing] film appears to be quite expensive.
    For the sites I could turn up, pricing is hard to find- one site sez click for price but, maybe account I dont use IE, didn't work. But certainly all the sites- a lot fewer than medical x ray- are very much less transparent about $ than the medicals- perhaps much less volume and competition. There was one past-date clearance item that was able to check - 25 sheets 7x17 for $108, regularly $349. Good news is that I've found data for films by Kodak [Industrex], Fuji , and Agfa [Structurix], and the many weird roll sizes are tantalizing -70, 90, 100 mm, 5, 14 inch etc. So far, I fear it MAY be very costly, but for certain [strange] sizes it may be the only game. I haven't tried a telephone call yet, awaiting actual disposable income.
    Thanks very much to Gene for his continuing reports, and to wclavey.

Here's a start for the adventurous
    http://www.mpmproducts.com/products_rad_film_kodak.htm
    http://www.tedndt.com/cat/index.php?TED=30
    http://www.ndtmart.com